Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 99

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section Four: “Vows of Love in a Foreign Land”

Chapter Ninety-nine

The date of the ritual of papal succession was rapidly approaching.

To use the spell to converse with the souls of the dead that Hades used, I need to be able to handle divine magic power.

I need to concentrate… concentrate and amplify the magic power throughout my entire body.”

Using the principles of ancient sorcery, I amplified the magic power throughout my entire body. Gradually expanding the range from my fingertips, today I finally attempted to convert the magic power in my whole body into divine magic power.

By continuously absorbing mana, I raised it to several times my original magic power.

“Next, I’ll compress the magic power in my body using the exorcism method.”

It should be fine if I do it the same as before. Maintaining concentration, slowly compressing it. If I were to make even a small mistake in control, the magic power in my whole body might go berserk and cause an explosion. I was protecting myself with the Robe of Light but if I fail, I might not come away unhurt.

“…I’ve finally done it. Without all the training I’ve undergone so far, mastering this in such a short period might have been impossible.”

The harsh training I’ve endured until now aiming to be a perfect saint proved useful for this practice.

I was made to do training every day to maintain concentration while performing delicate work. Being used to that allowed me to immerse myself in this practice.

"I’m surprised. So that’s the divine magic power? It feels as formidable as when you overwhelmed Asmodeus.”

“As expected of you, Ms. Philia. She’s amazing, right, Senior Elsa? To think someone has truly mastered the use of divine magic power.”

Ms. Elsa, Mr. Klaus…”

When I succeeded in converting my magic power into the divine one, Elsa and Klaus approached me with praise. The two of them taught me exorcism and accompanied me during practice several times.

“So, do you think you can succeed with the spell to converse with souls of the dead? Handling the divine magic power is fundamental. However, using that power to activate the Divine Spells will further increase the difficulty.”

As Elsa said, being able to use the divine magic power just allowed me to reach the starting line.

Handling the divine magic power was the bare minimum to use the Divine Spells. From there, activating the spell required even more precise control.

“It’s certainly not easy. However, I’m confident I can succeed.”

“Wow, you have a great faith in yourself.”

“The spell to converse with souls of the dead is particularly simple among the Divine Spells. I don’t think succeeding within the time limit is impossible.”

There was a considerable difference in difficulty even among the Divine Spells.

For example, magic like the “Resurrection of the Dead” or the “Instant Death”, said to be used by Hades, exceeded human understanding and was likely too complex to master within a human lifespan.

Compared to those, the "spell for conversing with souls of the dead" was quite simple. Even for someone like me who had just learned to wield divine magic power, it was realistically attainable.

“Conversing with the Pope’s soul using a Divine Spell. I can’t even imagine what will happen.”

"I’ll be calling the soul welcomed into heaven and it seems I’ll be able to converse at a volume loud enough for everyone to hear clearly. There were accounts saying it resounded throughout the entire area.”

While there had been few confirmed instances of the actual use of the Divine Spells throughout history, I was able to confirm accounts of the "spell for conversing with souls of the dead" in documents. According to them, the voice resonated over quite a wide area, so I should be able to avoid the situation of only me being able to hear the conversation with the Pope’s soul.

"I-I see. But what will you do? If, let’s say, your spell succeeds and Archbishop Henry’s misconduct is uncovered… it would be quite the ordeal. Yes, it would be treated as a grave scandal.”

“Isn’t it obvious? Are you only realizing that now? Idiot.”

"Ouch! Ms. Elsa, please don’t punch me in the stomach.”

"It’s because you’re spouting nonsense. Are you scared?”

Elsa seemed to be looking at Klaus with a truly contemptuous expression. However, I understood why Klaus would felt the need to state the obvious.

It was because the fact of altering the letter left by the Pope, who was the highest existence in the Clamu Church, was an extremely grave sin. The archbishops were second only to the Pope. They were highly trusted by the faithful, and it was unacceptable for someone of their stature to betray the trust of the Pope.

"Even so, if Archbishop Henry’s misconduct becomes widely known, would his wrongdoing be considered even more serious?”

"That’s an unusual question coming from you, Great Saint. A punishment equal to or harsher than death would certainly be demanded. You’re asking knowing that already, right?”

I could imagine it being handled as a matter concerning the authority of the Clamu Church. No, as Elsa said, perhaps I had been avoiding the issue. I might have been intentionally avoiding thinking that my act of asking the Pope for the truth would be tantamount to handing Archbishop Henry a death sentence.

"You may be right, Ms. Elsa. I suppose I did understand it deep down.”

"Are you hesitating now, of all times? He’s willing to ruin the lives of unrelated people for his own revenge. He’s not a decent person.”

"Is there any way to resolve this situation peacefully?”

“There’s no way, is there? We can’t afford to back down. Even if you’re kind-hearted, you must have a strong determination that you won’t compromise on this.”

“B-But…”

Archbishop Henry was the cousin of Grace and the brother of the person who was engaged to Prince Reinhardt.

Though we had little direct involvement, one could say that Archbishop Henry was almost like a close acquaintance. Furthermore, a saint was meant to be a figure who saved people. Executing someone went against that spirit.

You said you were resolved, didn’t you? Otherwise, it would mean betraying those who wish for your happiness. But with ‘buts’ and ‘becauses,’ can anyone truly be saved?”

Ms. Elsa…”

Your homeland became an awful mess after you left the stupid prince alone… How about that? Isn’t your little sister much stronger? She imprisoned the stupid prince and your parents, right?”

Mia is stronger than me. I think that’s true.

I didn’t have the same spirit as her.

Mia, who single-handedly challenged Julius and his faction in Girtonia, took on an amazing fight.

I probably couldn’t have done the same.

"Archbishop Henry doesn’t need your sympathy or compassion. He committed a taboo. Betrayed God. Giving him the chance to atone for his sins as a saint is the real mercy, don’t you think?”

"Ms. Elsa…”

"You should pursue your own happiness. This is also my wish for you.”

Should I pursue my happiness? I thought I was doing that.

It seemed I still lacked the resolve to carry through my desires.

"Oh, how rare. Sister is wishing for happiness.”

Mammon, since when were you there?”

“Hmm? When was it again?”

Upon realizing that Mammon had been behind her for quite some time, Elsa, trembling, turned around and glared at him.

“Should I kill you once?”

“Gyaaaa!”

If I stopped, I would end up betraying the people wishing for my happiness. Elsa’s words pierced my heart.

I had made it this far because Elsa, Klaus, and Alice helped me. And I had been supported by Prince Oswald, Lina, and the others too.

I couldn’t trample on their goodwill. So I would fight for myself.

Archbishop Henry might have unavoidable circumstances, but I want to return to the country I love with my important people.

I won’t back down. I would master the spell to converse with souls of the dead and make my wish come true.

Come to think of it, I might be living true to myself more than ever right now.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment