Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 13

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Thirteen: Battle Is Over and My Strength Gives Out, Ingredients Dropped Too

Despite my continued sniffles, Mr. Ville is still patting my head. Thankfully, I have been released from the embarrassment of being held in his arms. If it had continued, I would have died of shame!

“Calmed down now, Rin?”

“…Sorry for the trouble…”

I grabbed Mr. Ville’s hand as he stood up, and with a little effort, I managed to get up too… I mean, normally I can stand up by myself, ok?! There’s no issue with my mobility! It’s just that, well, my knees are still a bit off after the shock earlier, or something like that…

Looking at my tear-streaked face and dirtied clothes, Mr. Ville cast the "clean" spell once again. While he tried to distract me with various conversations, the spell was remarkably effective, not only cleaning my body but also removing dirt from the clothes I was wearing. Moreover, since it wasn’t a washing process, there was no need to dry anything.

Super convenient.

By the way, the bag containing the harvested halberries that I dropped during the panic had fortunately suffered minimal damage, with only a slight squish at the bottom… Could it be that even in that situation, I unconsciously tried to protect the food?

How fortunate!

What’s more, the three birdlike monsters with their heads severed and rolling on the ground formed piles of black feathers, beaks, claws, and… wrapped in paper-thin bark packages that resembled the big leaper meat that Mr. Ville had given me this morning…

“…Huh? What’s this…”

“Ah, right. You might not know, Rin. When you defeat ‘monsters,’ for some reason, ‘materials’ like this drop. We call them ‘drop items.’”

“Materials… drop items…”

“Guilds sometimes request these materials, and alchemists, for example, use them to create combat items.”

As I stare dumbfounded at the packages of birds before me, Mr. Ville murmurs "They look delicious.”

Ah. So you are hungry after all.

Well… things like materials and drops huh; it really feels like a TRPG world… The one I used to play was the one where you had to roll two six-sided dices—the so-called 2D6—after you beat an enemy to determine the drops. In my case, the dice rolls go smoothly when I create my character or when I’m GM, but when I start adventuring, I was cursed to average 4 with the 2D6… It’s not uncommon to be one point away from winning, ugh.

Oh, that reminds me, I collected the “materials” left on the ground into other plastic bags I had in my sling bag. Mr. Ville is supposed to have a large sack for storage too apparently, but it was lost in the river…

If I put everything in Campy’s four-dimensional storage area, it won’t take up any space, right? As for the main use of the materials, it seems the feathers are processed for armor, clothing decorations, or accessories, and there’s quite a demand for them; the beaks and claws become ingredients for various potions.

Wow, even their uses are fantastical…

As I crouched down to pick up the small feathers left on the ground, deep in the entangled low tree branches I noticed something…? I widened my eyes intently―of course, I didn’t really need to do this, but got caught up in the moment―and focused on Survival.

[Freshly Laid Eggs (Edible: Delicious)

Eggs of the phantom fowl. Fresh ones can be eaten raw.

Although a bit small, they are packed with nutrients and have a rich flavor.

The shell is hard, requiring skill or strength to crack.]

Freshly laid… I see!

Sorry, you all became materials and meat, but I’ll be taking these eggs too. I’ll do my best to make you yummy…

While offering a silent prayer in my mind, I reached in, finding four eggs slightly smaller than chicken eggs rolling in the nest.

Mr. Ville, Mr. Ville! There are eggs too! Please cleanse them!”

“Cleanse… the eggs?”

“Yes! I want to get rid of dirt on the shells!”

Though the shells are hard, an egg is still an egg. I carefully collected them without dropping any and brought them to Mr. Ville. Despite his puzzled expression, he still cast the clean spell on the eggs as I requested.

…Of course, being in the wild, the eggs might have dust and rubbish on them… but, you know, birds, right? The exit is a cloaca, right? Both waste and eggs are expelled from the same opening, right??

Looks like he cleaned my hands as a bonus, but I’ll wash them properly with water later just in case…

But finding eggs is super lucky. I don’t think there are any in the fridge, so this expands the menu possibilities! For now, I plan to use them to make the snacks we initially had in mind.

“Hmm… I’ll make berry cookies I think. If there’s any left, I can make jam too… If we had milk, I could probably make muffins…”

“Berry cookies? Muffins?”

“They’re both baked sweets. Since I’m mixing in halberries, they should be sweet-sour and yummy.”

“Baked sweets! I’m looking forward to that!”

“Well, it might take a bit of time to prepare, but I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait!”

I haven’t had sweets since getting thrown here, and I’ve wanted something sweet lately, you know. I think a sweet treat is like a soothing balm for the nerves.

With the calorie intake concerns set aside for now, I’ll immerse myself in the sweet temptation and try my best to recall the forgotten cookie recipe…

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't get a 1 with 2d6 though... Maybe with a correction, but I don't think you'd count that when just saying what you rolled, and she just said she had good luck when creating a character anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out! As I recall, that was a hard part to translate. I spent hours thinking about that sentence. Now, with a fresh head, I tried to translate this fragment once again and finally guessed what it meant :D. It's "one point away" from winning.

      Delete