Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 3

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Three: I Fished Out A Lost Man

“…Hmm?”

As I swayed my rod, something red flashed in the corner of my vision. Right by the inlet, where the stream meanders into a sort of bay, there’s something…? Feeling somehow out of place with the color I don’t recall being there before, I peer closely to find a humanoid figure wrapped in a red mantle-like thing collapsed.

Ah, I see. It’s a human huh? Good, it’s not some fantasy monster…

“A humaaaan!?”

I almost nonchalantly ignored someone before abruptly returning to my senses! No no, I can’t just brush that off! Rushing over, what I found there is not exactly a “human” but more of a “demi-human”.

Silver hair trimmed to a decent length, two small horns extending from the temples. A robust physique that falls right in the middle between a burly and slender build, clad in what appears to be fantasy manga or game-like leather armor, and also has a sword.

An Oooooni…? Though for an Oni he’s not wearing tiger print panties…

It seems Survival is doing a great job again this time, as I calmly observe the discovery of the first otherworldly being without much disturbance.

By the way, about Oni wearing tiger print panties… I vaguely recall hearing that it’s wordplay. The Japanese have two words for the northeastern direction, which are "kimon" and "usitora". "Kimon"—which, by the way, has another meaning of bad direction—is made up of the characters for "Oni" and "Gate,” while "usitora" is made up of “Ox” and “Tiger”. So, Oni -> ox and tiger -> ox horns and tiger-skin loincloth -> Oni in tiger print panties. It’s like a game of associations tied to words for the northeastern direction… Though there may be other theories. Anyway!

I can’t see his eye color since his eyes are closed. Judging by his well-ordered yet somewhat stern face, he is around my age or slightly older. And most importantly, his firm chest quietly rises and falls, and his complexion seems healthy despite him being soaked in water. He doesn’t look to be on the verge of death! That’s somewhat reassuring. Survival doesn’t seem to be warning me either so I guess it’s okay to approach him?

“Um… Are you alright? Still conscious? Can you move?”

“…Ugh… yeah…”

“Hmm… You’re conscious but can’t seem to move… Being in the water is sapping your body heat, so I’ll drag you onto shore a bit okay?”

“Ah, no…”

“Could you please cross your arms for a moment?”

As I nervously sidle up next to Mr. Oni and call out, the previously shut eyes open just a crack. Like he’s searching for the voice’s origin or surveying his surroundings… his eyeballs alone look around. By the way, Mr. Oni’s eyes are a vivid ruby red, much like fresh blood. They look appetizing, like strawberry candies.

In any case, it’s good that he is conscious! But moving him seems a bit difficult… He tried several times to get up on shaky legs but fell each time, and now he is lying on his back looking completely drained.

Sorry, but I gotta rescue you out of the water, even if it means dragging you! He seems slightly panicked but no worries! I can’t just overlook his strength gradually being sapped away…

I circle around to lift his upper body from the head… using my knees to support him… clasp Mr. Oni’s folded arms from behind and grab him firmly…

“Sorry if this hurts… heave ho!”

“Ugghhh!”

And then, lifting the upper body a bit, I drag him slightly away from the water’s edge… and that should do it. Hmm. Mr. Oni lets out what sounds like a suppressed groan but that can’t be helped… By myself, I can’t carry or lift him. I’m sowwy.

If this was a petite grandma smaller than meI could easily carry and transfer her, though! Don’t underestimate me! I work at a day-care service and visit patients’ homes as an acupuncturist! Believe it or not, I’m also a certified care worker! (Proud)

…Well. The work of an acupuncturist required a national certification…

At the time I obtained it, unlike massagers/chiropractors, acupuncturists couldn’t become professional recuperation trainers; we were treated strictly as caregivers. Well, the company where I worked offered a subsidy if you get certified and it didn’t hurt to have it… so I went ahead and got the license. Never thought that later on they’d relax the requirements, allowing acupuncturists to become professional recuperation trainers! It’s okay, though; it was informative to review and study for the practical exam, prep classes, and tests…

By the way, I had been thinking of getting a certification in care management next… It’d go to waste though since I dunno when I can return… sob

I was paid enough to enjoy my hobbies and save money, there were no unreasonable clients, the relationships in the office were good, and above all, I had a good relationship with my patients, chatting with them in between treatments… Even if I get back, I’d probably be fired due to the long absence.

Damn it… I won’t forgive that saint summoning… No mercy whatsoever…

And so…

Before I can contemplate whether I should perform a cursing ritual or not, the pain and shock from being dragged seem to stimulate Mr. Oni. Slowly lifting his upper body, he sat down in a relaxed cross-legged position. Has he recovered a bit?

Or maybe not…? Seeing him still drained with hunched back even seated cross-legged… He didn’t look that exhausted when I first saw him

“Um… I got you out of the water but being in soaked clothes still saps away body heat, so I’ll grab something to wipe you down!”

“Soaked… Right… Rien (Clean), Folai (Dry).”

I don’t have a towel blanket, but I should have a towel poncho, which resembles a bath towel with a hood attached for shade. Just as I call out to Mr. Oni and am about to leave, he seems to realize his state, as he looks down at the hair and mantle plastered to his body with an "indeed" expression before snapping his fingers.

Then green and red light starts spinning around his body and…! Before my dumbfounded eyes can even blink, Mr. Oni’s body and clothes covered in mud and water look freshly washed… and completely dry without a hint of moisture.

…Huh? What’s this… magic? Fantasy!

Before my eyes, almost moved to tears, Mr. Oni’s body sways unsteadily. I managed to catch him just in the nick of time, preventing a fall, but had I not made it in time, he would have hit his head on one of the river stones.

Safe! It’s safe! It was a close call, but it didn’t turn into a falling accident!

When accidents happen in my workplace, meetings drag on, you know… Creating accident reports, implementing accident prevention measures… Well, in this situation, things like falling accidents and meetings might not make much sense, but, you know, it’s like… emotionally, I want to avoid things I’d rather not deal with…

“A-are you okay?”

“Ye… ah…”

“Hmm?”

“…Hungry…”

“Eeeeh!?”

Shaking all over, Mr. Oni somehow raises his face but along with words I don’t expect, his head droops again, and he seems to have lost consciousness. His body begins to lean towards me, but I somehow catch him and carefully lay down sideways, once again preventing him from hitting his head. Folding my parka into a makeshift pillow, I slid it under Mr. Oni’s head.

“…He says he’s hungry…”

Grooooowl… a mysterious sound can be heard continuously from the vicinity of Mr. Oni’s stomach. The rumbling of his belly is quite impressive! Well, with a physique as good as his, just basic metabolism must be amazing… The milk trout bleed-out should be done too—though it’s tastier aged—I can make some dinner at least!

Ignoring him after all this would leave a bad taste in my mouth, and there’s a saying that even casual encounters are fated.

I’ll manage to provide at least food and lodging, Mr. Oni!

The translator's corner

The translator brags (when editing the text) about the fish in the fridge that he'll be eating soon.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

2 comments:

  1. TTOTT thank you so much for taking this series!! I fell in love with Rin and Ville's shenenigans so fast yet I can't find their story translated anywhere! Also I love how you are arranging the dialogue and information, it really leans on the game-like aspect of this series! (And help distinguish Rin's inner monologues from actual dialogue, girl really have some big thoughts despite her silly personality!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love how you do the dialogue, I've often found myself confused sometimes when they have multiple speakers, so now I don't gotta worry about that here yippee
    It's also fun

    ReplyDelete