Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 34

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Thirty-four: The Sea: Vast or Salty?

There are many vegetables resembling those from my world—tomato-like, eggplant-like, cucumber-like, cabbage-like, potato-like, onion-like, lotus root-like…

The stall I charge into has rows and rows of them!

I’ll just call them what they remind me of since it’s bothersome the other way around. But what’s up with this subtle synchronicity?

To be honest, not knowing the flavors, I didn’t want to buy large quantities blindly. So I asked Mr. Ville, and he replied with things like "The bacon from that butcher has a faint apple aroma and tastes great" or "The game meat from that stall over there is properly processed, so it’s delicious" or "The cheese from that shop only uses fresh milk, so it’s sweet and delicious"… He seems to know those kinds of things very well, but when it comes to vegetables? "I’m not sure"?! What advice could I get from someone like that?

Fortunately, summer vegetables seemed to be in season and not too pricey. I bought a few of each vegetable on display, enough to fit in the wrapping cloth I had brought. I also picked up some garlic-like and ginger-like items while I was at it. At the root vegetable stall, a small, sweet-looking old lady was minding the shop. Since I "bought so much," she threw in a few extra potatoes as a bonus.

What a nice grandma… If her stall is open again, I’ll definitely buy something from her…!

“Vegetables… Vegetables, huh… But if we don’t eat them, we might die…”

“What’s wrong with vegetables?”

“They don’t seem very filling!”

“The calorie count is on the lower side, you see.”

Beside me, as I hold the vegetables with a delighted expression, the party leader seems to be on the verge of clutching his head in contemplation. Even if he declares it with a cool look on his face, the content of what he is saying is ruining his good-looking appearance. Well, for Mr. Ville, who’s like a car with poor fuel efficiency, it’s probably not welcome ingredients. But vegetables are really helpful for maintaining good health!

After I earnestly explained about the immune system and the dangers of infectious diseases, Mr. Ville did come to understand the importance of vegetables… or rather, a balanced diet. However, while he grasps it intellectually, putting it into practice seems to be a bit of a challenge… That might be the most accurate depiction of the situation. Well, as a bonus, I also purchased bacon and cheese from the shop recommended by Mr. Ville

"…Ah, good morning, Rin…!”

"Mornin’, Rin!”

"Good morning, Rin. Did you buy something?”

"Good morning, everyone! What I bought is a secret! Something to look forward to for lunch, perhaps?”

The others gathered at the main gate peered inquisitively at my wrapping cloth bundle.

…Yup, I’m learning properly! If I had said "It’s mostly vegetables!" right before a mission, everyone’s morale would surely plummet!

Even after Mr. Ville had confirmed with me that I wouldn’t leave them to die, he still couldn’t entirely suppress the feeling of "…But it’s just vegetables…", indicating how low the status of vegetables is in the Gourmands.

I think vegetables are delicious though… Could it be that the vegetables in this world just aren’t that tasty…? Come to think of it, there are stories about how tomatoes used to be incredibly sour and had to be eaten with sugar sprinkled on them…

But still, I’d like to believe that it depends on how they’re cooked!

Rin, are you alright? We’re leaving soon.”

“Ah, yes! Understood!”

As I tried to recall as many vegetable recipes as possible, Mr. Ville patted me on the back. The fact that his pats don’t hurt at all is probably because he’s carefully holding back his strength.

In the east of Ellarge lies the only port in this country, and about 4 kilometers south of there is the coastline. The coastline varies quite a bit, with some areas having shallow sandy beaches, while others have rocky shores with large boulders scattered about. This variety makes it a popular spot for adventurers, as it’s known for its abundant seafood resources. As a result, it’s a place where adventurers are constantly busy with collection requests.

By the way, today’s plan is to patrol without dispersing too much and to stay somewhat grouped together.

“Alright, let’s go! The Camping Car!”

For now, we head out the main gate and I activate the Camping Car in an isolated area. Since today’s site is further away from the forest we were in yesterday, and the secret is already out anyway, we’ll be traveling by Campy!

Oh? Can’t we just go from the port to the beach? Unfortunately, being the only port means that the area around it is heavily guarded. Only those with permission can come and go. So, for adventurers to reach the beach, they need to leave the town and go all the way around.

“Is everyone okay? No one feeling nauseous?”

"No problem at all. Experiencing it again, it truly is an amazing skill…!”

"…So faaaast…!”

"Aria looks so cute being delighted… Thank you, Rin!”

Today, I made sure everyone was properly seated on the sofas with their seatbelts on. Safety first and foremost. Mr. Xenon and Ms. Aria seem to be enjoying themselves, and their lively voices can be heard all the way to the driver’s seat. Seeing them so happy is the best! Well, Mr. Ed seems a bit off for some reason… But it’s probably normal motion, so it should be fine!

And in the co-pilot’s seat, as usual, is Mr. Ville. He must be used to it now, casually taking off the breastplate and fastening his seatbelt.

With the windows open, fresh cool air circulates through the cabin. That invigorating new green scent is so refreshing. As per usual, we’re driving off the Large Highway, but the ride is quite smooth without much vibration.

“Say, Rin… What are you planning to do with those vegetables?”

“Let’s see… Maybe fry up some eggplants and then bake it with tomatoes and cheese in the oven? Or thinly slice and shape the potatoes into crispy rounds? The cucumber could be lightly pickled in noodle soup base and vinegar?”

“…I understand vitamins and such are important, but I’m really craving some meat.”

As we rumble across the meadows, it’s a comfortable drive where I can enjoy some light-hearted conversation with Mr. Ville, who knows the contents of my shopping and asks the menu for lunch. Mr. Ville complained that it wouldn’t be very filling, but combining vegetables with oil should improve that to some degree! Plus, I plan to add a little something rich in protein to the mix as well!

Personally, I think chilled dishes like eggplant in vinegar sauce or chilled tomato soup would be delicious in a hot place like the beach. But having just vegetables as the meal for this meat-loving party would be a bit too much to ask, I think…

I suppose… If we could get some shellfish, we could steam them with butter and cabbage, Oh, but we’d need to desand the shellfish first… Fish and shrimp would be delicious too… Ah! Shrimp in oil is tasty too!”

“Fish… Shrimp… I’ll try to catch some.”

Mr. Ville’s eyes sharpened as if locking onto a prey… Sorry fish and shrimp, I’ve awoken Mr. Ville’s appetite and fighting spirit! Like poking a sleeping lion, you could say?

"By the way, what was the gathering request we accepted for this patrol?”

"It was a delivery of 5kg of large sarri clams.”

“Since I’ll be staying behind, a little over 1kg per person is the minimum… It sounds quite challenging, especially with the requirement for large clams.”

“Well, we’ll just have to use some trick. We can’t neglect the true objective, after all.”

…By the way, I’ll be on standby inside Campy today.

For patrol missions in areas with potential high-level enemy encounters, a non-combatant like me would just be deadweight. If I focus too much on gathering and fail to notice any abnormalities, it could lead to a delayed response… What a pity! I haven’t had a chance to learn the self-defense techniques I had asked Mr. Ville about either. So many things keep happening!

Ahhhh… Clam digging and tide pool fishing sound so fun, but I’ll have to endure today!

While I obediently stay put, Mr. Ville and everyone else have promised to "gather various things for lunch," so I’m looking forward to that!

Do the orderly rows of conifers serve as windbreaks and sand control? As I drive past them, the view in front of us suddenly opens up.

A rounded horizon stretching out endlessly, and an azure sky that seemed to suck you in… A deep, deep indigo world lay before us. A slightly fishy, distinct ocean scent tickled my nose.

Scanning the sandy beach where the tide had begun to recede, I could see groups of adventurers already starting their gathering activities.

We should probably have everyone disembark around here. I can’t have the boarding and disembarking process witnessed, after all. I’ll have them get off in an isolated area, then drive Campy right up to the shoreline.

“Alright, we are off. Stay put and behave yourself, Rin.”

“Yes! I’ll make lunch and wait for you all! Please be careful, everyone!”

"Mm. I’ll bring back a variety of things! Leave it to me!”

"The camouflage function seems to be working, but still be careful.”

"If anything happens, run away immediately, okay? We know the area, so we’ll find you right away.”

Moving from the driver’s seat to the living cabin, I saw everyone off as they headed out on the patrol mission and side-gathering quest. Minding our surroundings, they sneaked me little waves or glances before leaving.

Even at the beach, they were wearing sturdy boots since there could be magical creatures or monsters lurking in the sand. With cleaning magic for dirt and drying magic if they get wet, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Magic is so convenient.

…Now then. While I’m curious about this "trick" Mr. Ville mentioned, I should probably start by preparing a veggie-filled lunch that even this meat-loving bunch might eat!

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. I do think it's kinda silly she pushes the seat belt thing so hard in a fantasy world where you can get thrown around by magic attacks lol

    ReplyDelete