Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 80

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Two, Section Four: “A Chain of Bonds Weaves Love”

Chapter Eighty

I feel it may be a bit flashy…”

In front of the mirror, I looked at myself and voiced my doubts about whether the clothes I was wearing suited me. While I used to think that anything was fine as long as it didn’t look unappealing, the clothing chosen by Lina this time was different from my usual style.

“As expected of Lady Mia. She chooses outfits for you that not only suit you but also consider trends, resulting in a perfect score!”

When Mia came to this country, as a thank-you for the hair ornament I had given her earlier, she gifted me clothes. She mentioned it was a formal dress for important occasions. However, the color palette was something I would never pick, and when I tried it on… it just felt out of place. While I thought it would look stunning on Mia, I couldn’t shake the fear that I might be laughed at if I wore this kind of dress.

His Highness Oswald will surely be captivated by you and unable to even think of eating dinner.”

“Please don’t tease me, Ms. Lina… But, do you really think His Highness wouldn’t laugh at how strange it looks?”

Lina smiled as she imagined Prince Oswald’s reaction.

Yes, I was about to have a meal with him. We had promised to go after the Saint Summit, but with the palace half-destroyed, we couldn’t right away. The prince was also busy commanding the restoration work. After a month had passed since then, things finally calmed down a bit, and that was when I received the invitation…

What should I do? I was extremely nervous. Why did simply having a meal made my heart beat so fast? And was I concerned the outfit might not be alright…?

"He shouldn’t have any reason to laugh. I’m sure he’ll compliment you, saying it suits you perfectly.”

“D-Do you think so? Will His Highness Oswald truly say it suits me?”

"Yes! Absolutely! Let’s trust Lady Mia’s taste.”

Lina confidently nodded in response to my question. If she was expressing such assurance, then it should be fine. Mia was often praised for her fashion sense too. I could trust her judgment. It was alright, I should feel at ease. But…

I’m still anxious. The entrance feels farther away than usual.”

"Hahaha, you are experiencing youth as well, Lady Philia. Nothing could be better.”

Mr. Leonardo, this is no laughing matter.”

After finishing changing and preparing to leave, I found my steps suddenly becoming heavy. I wanted to see Prince Oswald and share a meal with him, but there was a contradiction here. What could this mean? Leonardo looked at me with a smile, as if finding something amusing, but I couldn’t figure out what.

"My apologies, Lady Philia. It’s rare to see you with an expression befitting your age, so it put me at ease. You always seem so composed.”

“An expression befitting my age?”

Leonardo mentioned he felt relieved seeing me look my age, but I don’t quite grasp why. I never considered having a face that appeared mismatched with my age. Is my current expression truly fitting for my age?

"Yes, quite so. It’s perfectly natural to feel nervous before dining with an important gentleman. In my younger days, I—”

"Lady Philia, on the way to the restaurant Vermillion, I detected no suspicious figures. Should anything arise, I shall eliminate it. Please enjoy yourself today.”

Cutting off Leonardo’s voice, Himari appeared and reported she saw no shady people. Well, I wasn’t particularly anxious about that, but her consideration is appreciated. Anyway, let’s go. It felt strange to gather my courage, but I headed to the restaurant Vermilion, where the prince awaited.

Your Highness Oswald, I apologize for keeping you waiting. I thought I was on time…”

I intended to come slightly early, but the prince was already there upon my arrival. Could I have mistaken the time? No, I was certain I double-checked the letter several times, so I’d like to believe that was not the case.

“No, I just arrived too early. Don’t worry about it. Oh! You look really refreshing today, Miss Philia.”

“It does look strange, right?”

Since I wasn’t late, I felt relieved, but it seemed that Prince Oswald had some reservations about my attire. What should I do, Lina? It looked weird, didn’t it? It would suit Mia, but for me, wearing something like this…

“Hahaha, nothing strange about it. You look great. Well, you are always pretty but… I couldn’t help but be captivated by you this time.”

“Eh? Um, so, be captivated means…”

“It means you are beautiful. No doubt this will be an enjoyable dinner.”

Prince Oswald, as always, smiled, after which complimented my outfit. I believed he might have been exaggerating, but those words struck deep into my heart, making even the tips of my toes feel warm. Could it be a sign of illness? I was not sure; I had never been sick before.

“This restaurant is run by a noble house from the kingdom of Artsburg that does business all over the continent. They opened here this year, but I hear their cuisine from both Girtonia and Parnacota has received praise.”

“The Vermillion conglomerate, right? Though nobles, they received special permission to become merchants. It’s their fifth generation now, I believe?”

While engaging in trivial conversation, we enjoyed the course meal. It was only after coming to this country that I began to find pleasure in simple conversations. I now feel regretful about my past self who perceived such moments as a waste of time. And I still find it difficult to adapt to the changed mindset.

When I mentioned Prince Reinhardt told me he wished to retract his proposal, Prince Oswald seemed aware of it, nodding as he listened. His reason for withdrawing was "Someone more suitable exists," but what could that mean? I thought about asking Prince Oswald, but he brought up a different topic.

“As Mammon told us, Prince Julius and the Adenauer couple have returned to the Girtonia prison. I don’t have any doubts about his words, but I thought I should report it, just in case.”

I heard from Mammon that they were brought back to the place where they originally were, so I guess Prince Oswald confirmed the details. Considering that Julius’s capital punishment had already been decided, the execution was likely to take place in the not-too-distant future.

Miss Philia, there’s something I want to ask you.”

“Something you want to ask me? Please, feel free to say anything.”

Around when the main dish was served, Prince Oswald solemnly stated he had a question for me. He looked even more serious than usual, yet also conflicted. What could it be? Was it that difficult a topic to broach?

“Back then, you said you don’t resent Julius. Is that true? You never felt upset about the fate that brought you to this country?”

He brought up the words I said to Julius right after defeating Asmodeus. Why did Prince Oswald ask about that? Come to think of it, Bishop Bjorn said the prince opposed the plan regarding me until the end.

His amber eyes seemed to be faintly moist.

I need to answer sincerely.

I don’t resent him at all. Of course, when Julius first told me about it, I was shocked. But now, I love Parnacota. Your Highness Oswald, you have absolutely no need to feel any burden. Please stop that train of thought.”

When Julius declared that our engagement annulled and I’d be sold off to a neighboring country, it was quite disheartening. I felt like all my efforts so far had been thoroughly denied. However, since coming to this country, I have met precious people. That had been a dramatic change for me. Now, I genuinely wish to devote myself to my duty as this kingdom’s saint.

I see, thank you. I’m truly grateful you came here, Miss Philia… Alright!”

“Eh? Your Highness Oswald?”

The prince downed a glass of wine in one go. He made a voice like he had steeled his resolve about something, but why did he do a that? Placing the empty wine glass on the table, he took a moment to steady his breath.

"I read in books that drinking in one go is bad for your health.”

“Oh, is that so? Haha, I’ll have to be careful then. Relying on alcohol is uncool anyway.”

The prince accepted my words with an awkward smile. Perhaps I said something insensitive. He poured more wine into his glass and admitted aloud that he was trying to depend on it.

I have something important to say.”

His voice was low and quiet, yet it carried a certain intensity. Prince Oswald seemed to have been grappling with a decision, a resolve, despite his apparent hesitation since earlier. I met Prince Oswald’s gaze directly. For some reason, I felt I had to do that.

Miss Philia, I consider you the most important person to me. I love you as an individual. Please, marry me, Philia Adenauer.”

“…”

What expression did I have at that moment? My mind was struggling to process the information. My body temperature was rising rapidly, adding to the confusion, and before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face.

I seated there in a daze, not uttering a word, as time passed. I had to say something—anything.

“Uh, Miss Philia!? S-Sorry, that was awful of me! I never imagined I’d make you cry… Of course, that was too sudden. I’m not Brother. Forget what I just said!”

Prince Oswald told me to forget his proposal with a panicked expression.

I was crying, wasn’t I? Tears were coming out.

Why did this happen? The answer was clear.

“No, Your Highness Oswald, that’s not it. I think I’m crying because I’m happy. Probably… I read somewhere that people, even when they’re happy, can shed tears because their lacrimal glands are stimulated.”

I was overjoyed by Prince Oswald’s proposal, and that was why I couldn’t help but cry. It was the first time I had shed tears out of happiness, but I was sure that was the reason.

I’ve never seen someone calmly explain tears of happiness before. But, it’s so like you, Miss Philia. I love that about you.”

“Y-you love my strange traits…”

I think that’s what it means to fall in love with someone… Miss Philia, let me say it again. Please, marry me! I want to spend the same life, the same future, with you!”

This time he approached me and knelt to propose again.

When I saw the prince’s face as he uttered the proposal once again, even without looking in a mirror, I knew what expression I had.

At that moment, I was smiling. I had never felt so happy in my life.

“Clumsy as I am, I’ll be in your care.”

It felt like the world had changed.

Because I loved Prince Oswald too.

Experiencing the blessing of reciprocal affection made everything seem brighter.

Your Highness Oswald, I want to walk towards the future with you.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment