Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 53

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Fifty-three: Window Shopping In Moderation!

Hello. As usual, I, Takanashi Rin, am being led by Mr. Ville towards the grocery block. I happen to glance down a street lined with clothing stores, but wow, that is quite something! You know, the undergarments of the medieval and early modern periods… especially for women, are mostly things like corsets and drawers! And for regular clothes, you either buy fabric and sew it at home or get a full custom order!

…Well, while the guys were browsing blankets and such, Ms. Aria introduced me to a shop where I managed to find underwear of a familiar shape!

It’s a store for female adventurers run by a spider-person. Ms. Aria is a regular patron there. A bit pricey, but I managed to buy both shorts and a bra, so it’s all good! I also purchased a thin leather cord to wear the coral bead gifted (?) from that orca, since it already had a hole and I didn’t want to risk losing it by just keeping it in my pocket. As for the spare clothes, considering my budget, I’ll save that for another time!

“Taking it all in at a leisurely pace, this place is really interesting, isn’t it?”

“Ah, that’s true. The first time I came here was in the evening, and I only walked around town in the early morning and night.”

“It’s lively in the morning, but during the day, it’s even more bustling, right?”

“It is incredible, with all the variety…!”

The buzzing commotion assaults my ears, the unfamiliar figures pass before my eyes. There are bipedal lizards strolling about, a beast-headed young matron in a soft green dress humming merrily as she ambles along, and even a small dinosaur pulling a cargo wagon… It’s not scary or ominous at all really, just giving me an "I’m in another world!" sense of wonder. Maybe it’s because the whole town is so lively and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves?

…Although, now that I mention it, I never felt threatened by Mr. Ville’s initially intimidating "Oni" appearance either, which is kind of odd. Was it because of some kind of otherworldly intoxication, with adrenaline rushing through my veins?

“By the way, I didn’t see any armor shops in the textile block. Where are those located?”

“Ah yes. Shops for weapons, armor, and adventuring supplies are mostly congregated near the guild.”

“That’s more convenient since customers don’t have to travel across town, huh?”

There were stores dealing with large items like fabric and leather, as well as ones for decorative items like thread, dyes, and embroidery, and shops selling small items like ribbons and accessories, but I noticed there were no stores selling armor or adventurers’ clothes. When I asked about it, the explanation made perfect sense.

Of course, it makes sense. For adventurers, the guild is a place they absolutely have to visit, so it’s more convenient for them if the stores they need are nearby rather than scattered all over town. It’s also better for the shops in terms of attracting customers.

“Does that mean we should check around there for preserved foods and such?”

"…No… even if it costs more, it’s better to buy ingredients…!”

"Preserved foods are not… delicious…”

“With you as our chef, I have no desire to eat mud.”

"…Eat mud…?”

Eating mud… I feel like I just heard an ominous word… surely not some dystopian gruel where putting a spoon in causes it to dissolve, and if you stir it, it explodes, turning into a gray paste, and then the next me gets deployed?

I very much want to un-hear that…!

“W-Well then, we’ll need wheat flour, rice, potatoes, beans—staple long-lasting foods first! Plus smoked meats, cheese, eggs for protein, and vegetables that do keep well as well as those that don’t go bad too quickly…”

"…Vegetables, huh…?”

"I’ll do my best cooking, so please bear with me on that front!”

"Hmm… well I do trust your culinary skills… and it was actually delicious…”

"I’m glad you think so! I’ll make sure it’s delicious for everyone!”

As I enthusiastically listed the items I came up with, Mr. Ville’s enthusiasm visibly plummeted. I’ve explained this before to him, but I really want everyone to eat plenty of vegetables for the sake of nutritional balance! If the nutritional balance is disrupted, it will also affect our immune systems!

I pat his slouching back, and the childishly pouting party leader mumbles something inaudible.

What’s with this "it was delicious but I want to avoid veggies" mentality?! I’ll properly account for calorie needs, so don’t be so averse to them…

With those thoughts in mind, I meet his strawberry eyes, but he suddenly averts his gaze.

Do you really dislike veggies that much?!

Dammit! Tonight it’s a veggie-packed minestrone soup then! Loaded with bacon and cheese for richness and flavor, and hearty to boot! I’ll make you say "delicious" again, just you watch!!!

"Oh, Gourmands! Are you all together?”

"Sheila, nice meeting you here!”

"…Hello, been a while.”

“Perfect timing actually. Could you give the Guildmaster a scolding for me?”

As I steeled my resolve to buy ingredients, a tinkling bell-like voice accompanied by a white puffball entered my vision. It was Ms. Sheila the veteran receptionist kobold from the guild, in her signature blue apron dress. Her fluffy tail swayed endearingly as she pitter-patters over.

…That said, there’s an unusual intensity to her smile today… It’s almost like an air of urgency, I suppose?

“While I can’t go into details to avoid causing a panic, we have an emergency!”

With such a mysterious aura and light footsteps, Ms. Sheila approached us and whispered in a soft voice. For a fleeting moment, everyone tenses up upon hearing that. But they quickly regain their composure, understanding the guild’s intent to not needlessly alarm civilians. I too strain to keep a faint smile, controlling my facial muscles with willpower.

It’s fine. I’m well-practiced at suppressing my emotions to maintain a calm expression. Don’t underestimate a medical professional!

“Let me guess. That damned Tori is slacking off and causing a ruckus again?”

“Exactly! He’s throwing a tantrum about paperwork!”

With an exasperated sigh, Mr. Ville heads towards the guild with Ms. Sheila. Ms. Aria, Mr. Ed, and Mr. Xenon followed suit, exchanging light banter along the way.

…An emergency… Could it be related to the saint summoning or an entirely unrelated matter…?

While scolding the facial muscles that seemed ready to slack off and abandon their duties, my thought process was swallowed up by a swirling whirlpool of thoughts.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment