Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 102

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter One Hundred and Two: Offering Redemption to an Otherworldly Ingredient, Accepting Appetite, and Inviting to the Table

The rainbow longtail soup had a whole “chicken” submerged in a milky white broth. According to Survival, it’s a bird known for its long tail that shimmers with rainbow colors in sunlight. Apparently, it’s a fire-attribute creature. When agitated, its tail feathers scatter sparks that can cause fires, so it’s mandatory to capture or subjugate them on sight. It’s also a popular ingredient due to its tasty meat.

First, I sip the soup with golden circles of fat floating on top. The seasoning is simple, just salt, but the umami from both the meat and bones has melted into it, leaving no hint of blandness. It’s slightly thick and so hot that I might burn my tongue if I’m not careful. The meat, which falls off the bone with just a touch of the spoon, has more bounce than I expected. Despite being slow-cooked to tenderness, it still pushes back against my teeth. Maybe it’s because it’s a bird that runs on the ground? When I bite into it, it feels like the tightly bundled muscle fibers suddenly spread out in my mouth. Moreover, the more I chew, the more the umami seeps out from within those fibers. Just how concentrated is this flavor…?

“This rainbow longtail fowl is amazing! The flavor is so intense!”

“Isn’t it? But because the meat is tough, it’s often used in soups and stews.”

“Even after stewing, the meat still retains so much flavor!”

Mr. Xenon smiles as he ladles out seconds of meat and soup with a large serving spoon. Usually, I’d be dazzled by his handsome aura, but it seems I don’t have the luxury to notice that right now. After all, there’s such delicious food and ingredients here…!

Just thinking about how to cook these ingredients if I ever get my hands on them makes my blood boil with excitement!

Rainbow longtail fowl… I wonder if there’s a way to eat it other than in a stew?

Ah… If only I were in Japan, I could try marinating it in salted fish sauce or mushroom sauce…! If I wasn’t concerned about the oil, confit might be an option, but that’s basically just "oil stewing" in the end…

“By the way, this rainbow longtail fowl is also commonly found near the royal capital.”

“Is that so?”

“It’s… a staple… in inns and such… in the royal capital.”

“Ah! So it’s the kind of dish that’s fun to try at different places because each shop has its own unique flavor!”

Hmm, I see. Another thing to look forward to in the royal capital! I need to drive carefully to avoid accidents…! As I’m clenching my fist in determination internally, the kerria salmon that Mr. Ed and Ms. Aria ordered arrives… but…

“Wow! It’s yellow… no, golden!? The skin is shining!”

“You know, the kerria salmon is delicious…!”

“As fried fish, it’s… the best…!”

The flesh is a vivid color between yellow and orange, and the silver skin after peeling is so lustrous it could be called golden skin. This truly is the color of a kerria bush also known as a yellow rose… It’s so golden that it wouldn’t be out of place as a gift to a corrupt magistrate.

I take a few pieces and put them in my mouth. The abundant fat melts creamily and flows away in an instant. It’s rich, but doesn’t linger… or rather, it melts and then quickly disappears. Yet, an intense umami that almost numbs the base of the tongue spreads across my palate, with a faint scent of the sea wafting up to my nose.

The texture of the flesh is soft… or maybe not…? No, it’s not hard, but it’s not flabbily soft either. It’s smooth and plump when it first enters the mouth, but when you chew, the inside of the flesh resists your teeth, feeling firm…

Eating this, I realized that while the milk trout was delicious too, it was just a "trout." The milk trout was fatty and flavorful, but compared to the kerria salmon, it seemed almost light!

It was delicious though! And fun to fish… Hmm?

“Oh! If we’re going around the volcano, we’ll pass near Rhielle Lake, right? Is it okay if we take a break and do some fishing!?”

“Planning to catch more milk trout, are you? I’m all for it. That salt-grilled trout was delicious…!”

I wonder if I can still catch milk trout at Rhielle Lake. If I can, I want to fish again! Those trout put up such a great fight! And according to Survival, it said "they’re gorging in preparation for breeding"… so if I’m lucky, we might even get to eat some fish roe!

When I asked Mr. Ville for confirmation, he remembered the taste of the milk trout and gave his permission with a slight smile.

Yup, all things considered, that dinner was really delicious. It was my first night in another world, but it was fun in many ways… As I’m lost in these thoughts, the sound of a wine glass being set on the table brings me back. I look up to see Mr. Xenon smiling even more broadly than usual.

“…What’s that? We haven’t eaten that yet, have we?”

Ville, that’s not fair! I want to eat it too…!”

Rin, Rin! Next time, make some for us too!”

Starting with Mr. Xenon, who opened his mouth while maintaining his smile, Ms. Aria and Mr. Ed crowded around me.

It looks like our next visit to Rhielle Lake is going to be a lively night…

As I’m subjected to calls of "I want to eat it!" until my fried kerria salmon arrives, I quietly continue to escape from reality…

The Translator’s Note

Kerria is a yellow-flowering shrub in the rose family, native to China and Japan.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment