Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 33

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Thirty-three: Let’s Live a Vegetarian Life!

The loud knocking on the door rapidly bring me to consciousness.

Rin! Are you awake? We’re leaving soon!”

“Fah!? Y-Yes! I’m awake! I’m up! Coming now!”

I hurriedly jumped out of bed at the voice I had become so accustomed to over the past few days. My watch showed it was just a bit past 6 AM. Phew! That was close! If Mr. Ville hadn’t come, I would have overslept!

I pour water from the pitcher into the washbasin beside my pillow and quickly wash my face. Even though the water is warm, washing my face helps clear my head. I hastily apply the BB cream I have stuffed into my body bag—makeup done! If I had known this would happen, I should have brought a makeup pouch instead of lazily thinking, "It’s just a fishing camp, no need for makeup"… But even if I had my makeup supplies, I don’t have the skills to do an elaborate look anyway. Plus, considering the difference in facial attractiveness ratings between me and the gorgeous Mr. Ville and his party, it’s a lost cause from the start.

With no change of clothes, I wrap the borrowed cloak around myself and pull the hood low before pushing open the door in one sweeping motion. If I get a chance to get new clothes later, I’ll go for something hooded. Wearing a hood is psychologically comforting.

“Good morning, Mr. Ville. Please take care of me.”

“Morning, Rin. Let’s head to the market first before departing.”

“Yes! I’m looking forward to it!”

On the other side of the door stood Mr. Ville, clad in the familiar leather light armor that has become a common sight to me. Greeting him in a soft voice, assuming others might still be asleep, I was met with Mr. Ville’s equally hushed tones as he took my hand. Today seems to be another instance of me being walked around as pictured on a crosswalk sign, a.k.a. a preventing kidnapping scenario.

…What can I say, Mr. Ville really is a good guy… Despite being such a hunk, he’s kind and considerate even to someone like me

Feeling a mix of embarrassment and having my hand held by Mr. Ville, we hurriedly make our way through the early morning streets. Despite the sun having only just risen, the town is already showing signs of liveliness. I think I learned in Japanese history class that in the periods before electric lighting was introduced, people’s lives revolved around the rising and setting of the sun—they would begin activities at sunrise and go to sleep after sunset.

Even with lanterns and streetlights, this world seems to operate similarly.

We passed by traveling merchants setting up their stalls, eateries serving early meals to travelers and workers starting their day, and ladies returning from their night duties… Amid crossing paths with all sorts of people, we head into the market that is already open for business.

From a quick glance around, there seems to be quite a variety of shops here. In addition to food stores, there are shops selling textile goods and even ironmongers. It feels like each type of business is clustered together in its own area. The store formats ranged from permanent brick-and-mortar establishments to market-style stalls on cart beds or ground tarps, as well as portable assembled stalls for convenience.

Truthfully, I’d love to wander through every nook and cranny, but for now, I’ll focus on the food stores. We need to gather at the main gate shortly…

The food market is packed with vegetable stands, game meat, livestock and processed meats, dairy products, jarred goods, alcohol, spices, and seasonings—every kind of food shop lined up side by side.

What personally catch my eye are the large barrels of salt-cured meats, the smoked meats hanging in the back at some counters, and the holey aged cheeses…

But at this very moment, the thing I crave the most is…

“First, what would you like, Rin?”

“Vegetables! I haven’t had any proper vegetables for the past 2-3 days, so I’d like to get some now!”

“…Vegetables, huh…”

“They’re essential for keeping your body in order!”

I’ve only been eating vegetables like zeseri, the ones in the deep-fried form they served at the Wildcat Pavilion or in their stew! Munching on cucumbers with miso paste would be delicious, and biting into chilled whole tomatoes sounds great too…

Plus, having leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other perishable but edible raw veggies would expand my cooking options. If we also had longer-lasting ones like onions, potatoes, and pumpkins, it would provide some security in case we can’t procure food for a while…

…Well, whether the party leader standing next to me with an "I object!" look on his face will actually say "Go ahead and buy them" is another matter!

Mr. Ville isn’t much of a veggie fan, after all.

…Come to think of it, judging from the orders at the Wildcat Pavilion, it seems like Mr. Ed and Mr. Xenon don’t really eat vegetables much too…? Ms. Aria? Yeah, she is all about meat!

“Vitamins are important for healing wounds and immunity… immunity… immunity!”

“Vita… what? Rin?”

“Yup. There is something, so let’s buy vegetables! Worst case, I’ll die!”

“What are you saying!?”

That’s it, I’m onto something… Immunity! I don’t have any acquired immunity—cellular or humoral—against the pathogens and viruses of this world, right…? If I catch something, I could easily die from a mere cold…?

Mr. Ville is dumbfounded, but if there are unknown pathogens or viruses in this world, without prepared antibodies or memory T cells, my only defense would be my physical strength and innate resistance.

…No, wait. Doesn’t this logic go both ways? While I’m not a carrier of infectious diseases, there are illnesses triggered by opportunistic pathogens!

To protect everyone’s health, including my own, I need to carefully manage all our physical conditions!!!

R-Rin…What do you mean by you’ll die!?”

“If we don’t do something, there’s a chance we could all get sick! Let’s eat vegetables! Maintaining our health is crucial!”

“Eating vegetables will prevent death!?”

“Not just vegetables, let’s eat a balanced diet with meat, fish, dairy products and more! We need to boost our immunity!”

Before I knew it, Mr. Ville had gripped my shoulders tightly, his face contorted as if he was about to cry. Being interrogated by Mr. Ville’s anguished voice made me want to die from embarrassment and guilt, but this is seriously important!

They say health management is fundamental for working adults, but no matter how hard you try, your physical condition will inevitably decline while living. However, if you’re careful from the start to build up your strength and resistance, you should be able to reduce the severity of any symptoms!

Dragging along the party leader who looks like he is grappling with the dilemma of "Eat vegetables to live or die," I charge towards a stall piled high with tomato-like and eggplant-like vegetables.

…Also, people often tell me that I eat a lot of fried food and meat, but I like vegetables a lot, you know? I mean, it’s not like I get deeply hurt or angry about it, but there are times when it does bother me a bit internally, you know?

…Honestly, I’m grateful that Mr. Ville and everyone in the party aren’t the type to tease me in that kind of… way…

…For their sake too, I’ll do my best to apply what I’ve studied to protect everyone from disease!

As I clench my fists tightly, I ask the stall lady for recommendations on where to find root vegetables.

The translator’s corner

I love world descriptions like in this chapter.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure why author bothered to wrote about the bb cream and makeup part 🤔 like it feels like an odd specific detail, and also, why would she bother in a fantasy setting where you gotta track and fight monsters, get splashed by who knows what hmm

    ReplyDelete