Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 24

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Twenty-four: The Rice Ball Rolls Merrily

In the end, we couldn’t all fit on my picnic sheet. Come to think of it, it was just a small one meant for one or two people. But everyone seemed unbothered about sitting directly on the ground, with Mr. Ed saying "No need, this is fine." They each found a spot under some shady trees to settle in for lunch.

I wondered if we needed someone on the lookout… But according to Ms. Aria, "I’ve set up a net, so it’s fine. Let’s just focus on eating!" Trusting her words, I handed out the leaf-wrapped rice balls and cups of barley tea. With that, my duties were complete.

From here on, please enjoy at your leisure!

And I’ll dig in without restraint too!

"…Wow! Rin, this is delicious!”

"Oh… It is perfect… Perfect for the empty stomach…”

"I’m glad to hear that. If it’s not enough, let me know and I’ll make more next time.”

The first voices of approval came from Ms. Aria and Mr. Ed, sitting side-by-side. As soon as they took a bite of the rice balls, their eyes sparkled with delight.

Carbohydrates do hit differently when you’re hungry, right?

After swiftly devouring the one rice ball with audible munching, Ms. Aria pops the piece of rolled omelet into her mouth and looks equally enraptured. While the pace was slow, Mr. Ed carefully offered Ms. Aria tea and picked up grains of rice from around her mouth, meticulously… and Mr. Ed seemed so joyful taking care of her.

It’s kind of strange how they’re so lovey-dovey that it doesn’t even make me want to explode with envy, but with the vibe, they’re giving off, like they’re shouting, "We’re so happy!" well, I guess it’s okay.

“It’s an unusual pilaf. I thought it would be a less sticky.”

"It could be because the rice itself not have been sautéed, or maybe because it’s a different variety altogether.”

After taking a bite, Mr. Xenon scrutinizes the rice ball up close with narrowed eyes.

Judging from what Mr. Ville said earlier and Mr. Xenon’s words just now, rice must be common in this world too. And it’s likely to be of the Indica rice variety. After all, in my world, it accounted for eighty percent of the global rice production. So maybe it’s the same in this world too.

Indica has less stickiness for a fluffier mouthfeel, often used in spiced dishes like pilafs and paellas. So it’s probably used similarly here for pilafs and the like. I think it would be delicious to eat a simple pilaf with a spicy stew or braised vegetables. I bet it would be delicious with curry too, though I wonder if this world even has Japanese-style "curry"…

By the way, the rice that was in Campy’s fridge is japonica, so it has a strong stickiness and a chewy texture. If I can get some indica rice, I’ll make a pilaf myself. I think a biryani-style pilaf with lots of spices would be delicious.

Seeing everyone happily enjoying the meal put me at ease. I think I managed to fulfill my lunch duty adequately.

With that, I suppose I should dig in too.

I slowly unwrap my zeeram leaf package. The tie is made from thin strips of the sturdy, fibrous zeeram leaf itself—the parallel veins made it easy to tear lengthwise.

Parallel veins mean it’s monocotyledonous, with bearded roots and scattered vascular bundles!

The counterpart to that is reticulate venation, which is dicotyledonous, it has a lateral taproot, and the fibrovascular bundles are ringed! I still remember that!

Anyway, getting back on track…

Even though I made and wrapped it myself, there’s still something exciting about opening up a packed lunch, right? When I unwrap the green leaves and see the brown rice balls and the yellow rolled omelet… it just looks even more delicious!

"Looks like inviting you, Rin, was the right choice!”

"I’m glad I could meet your expectations.”

While I was getting giddy over there, Mr. Ville had already finished his first rice ball. Giving me a sly smile, he picked up the second one.

He’s eyeing my remaining omelet too, but that’s mine! I’m not sharing!

Still, I’m pleased he’s enjoying it so much.

Savoring the sense of accomplishment, I took a big bite of the still-warm rice ball in my hands. As the tenderly cooked grains of rice gently unravel and spread in my mouth, a perfect balance of sweet and salty flavors unfolds.

The generously sized chunks of the tender big leaper meat have a delightful softness and chew, seeming to get more umami-rich with every bite.

On the other hand, perhaps due to being carefully cooked, the tille mushrooms have acquired a gentle elasticity that clings softly to the tongue while retaining a pleasing firmness.

And of course, that addictive mushroom stock essence was still there, making it difficult to stop the loop of biting, chewing, swallowing…

In my eagerness, I almost choked, but I quickly washed it down with barley tea. The sensation of the throat being relieved as it slides down to the stomach is so deliciously satisfying.

As a bit of a palate cleanser, I pick up a piece of the zeseri-filled omelet. The rich flavor of the egg, which could potentially become overwhelming, is delicately enhanced by the aroma of the zeseri and its refreshing texture, imparting a subtle refinement to the taste.

"…I must say, I think I did quite well, right?”

"In terms of flavor, no complaints whatsoever. The only regret is that there could have been more quantity.”

"Eh!? Really? Hmm, seems like you’re serious…”

As I drank the last of my barley tea and looked up, not just Mr. Ville, but Ms. Aria, Mr. Ed… Even Mr. Xenon had already cleaned their "plates".

Moreover, they all had that "I could go for seconds…" look on their faces. Ack, my poor provisions!

I thought I had made a sizeable amount of rice, but I guess it wasn’t enough…! Luckily, Campy has a large 1.8-liter rice cooker, so I can make more next time. Or maybe add a soup course, side dishes…

…But first, I need to distract these hunger-panged vultures eyeing my remaining rice ball.

They won’t PK me and eat my corpse if the snack diversion fails, but it’s best to preserve my sanity value!

"…So, who wants to have some baked cookies for dessert? Raise your hand!”

"Sweets!”

"Those from the other day? No reason not to!”

As I casually covered my remaining rice ball with another zeeram leaf, I raised my hand too as I made the announcement.

Ms. Aria, who had introduced herself as a sweets lover, responded quickest. And Mr. Ville had already tried both the berry and spice cookies before. The rest of the men, with faces saying, "Sweet treats!", raised their hands a bit belatedly.

…Good good. Attention is successfully diverted, just as planned.

As Mr. Ville enthusiastically praises the baked cookies, the other three listen attentively. Meanwhile, I stealthily hide the zeeram-wrapped rice ball under my clothes.

Ahh… It was a good call to make those spice cookies…

Picturing the tupper filled with a considerable amount of cookies awaiting me, I slip back inside Campy, disappearing from sight…

The translator’s corner

The botanical terms were hellish.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

3 comments:

  1. I love Rin, she’s so funny xD this is actually a bit different from the manga version! It’s interesting to see the differences!

    Thanks for t he translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those botanical terms... all I can say is good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I mean he did tell her he needs to eat a crazy amount, and that the rest of the group are also bug eaters

    ReplyDelete