Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 42

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Forty-two: Caging the Orca

Daughter, my skin feels better but I’m starting to feel suffocated.’

"Oh… your lungs must be getting crushed by your own weight. Mr. Ville, if we’re going to help, we’d better hurry.”

"Yes, it does look pretty heavy.”

‘How rude! Who said I’m a beached whale!? I’m sleek and streamlined, see!’

"In terms of aerodynamics, I guess you could say you are streamlined, but still…”

Daaaughter!’

As we continued our arduous work under the blazing sun, the orca that caused this predicament talked with us. Feeling frustrated that our hard efforts may be in vain, I mentioned as much to Mr. Ville standing beside me. However, the words don’t give me any ideas on how to actually move this massive body…

Mr. Ville made some comment, which sounded like he was trying to pick a fight with all women, prompting the lying orca to slap its flippers on the ground in protest, but… yup. From where I’m standing, "looks heavy" is the only impression I get.

The orca is probably about 10 meters away from the water’s edge right now. The water is right there, but that "stone’s throw" distance is agonizing! What’s more, after failing its Orca Attack and beaching itself, the orca seemed to have thrashed around trying to get back to sea, digging out the sand around it and creating a recessed area.

Truly, how are we supposed to get it back to the ocean…?

With a light splash, one of Mr. Ed’s water cubes burst over the orca, refracting rainbows as its fine droplets scattered around. Any adventurers who failed to get out of the way in time got splashed too, but they seemed to welcome it with cries of "Cold! Feels great!”

"Water cubes… blocks of water…”

"What’s up, Rin?”

"Mr. Ed! Can you encase that orca in a water cube!?”

"Eh!? At that size!?”

"If we sealed it in a cube, the buoyancy might prevent its lungs from being crushed, I thought!”

"Uh… a cube that big would be impossible…”

That’s true… Assuming the orca’s size is approximately 10 meters long, 3 meters wide, and 2 meters high, we would need about 60 cubic meters of water… It’s difficult… If we could seal it in, it might be able to endure for a while, then we could break the cube after high tide… but that’s probably too much to hope for.

Um… is there perhaps some other way…?

In my world, in cases of beached whales or dolphins, they usually used heavy machinery to get them back in the water…

How about digging a channel? Wide enough for the orca to pass through, deep enough for its belly to be submerged, sloped to let water flow in from the sea…

"So, I was thinking, wouldn’t it be faster if we all dig a channel…?”

"Good idea. Let’s gather anyone who can use earth magic.”

"Once we have a trench, we can use water magic or wind magic to bring sea water in, then push the Offshore Dweller out with manpower.”

When I relayed this plan to the other adventurers, those who had realized manpower alone wouldn’t work agreed to cooperate.

At this point, it is like a festival atmosphere.

“I’ll take this area", "I’ve got this part"… everyone claims a section and begin using magic or digging as they are able. Those not part of the channel team stand guard without being asked, ensuring the workers’ safety.

By the way, I’m in charge of splashing water on the orca with a bucket in place of Mr. Ed’s water cubes.

"You sure are popular. Everyone’s working so hard!”

‘Fufufu… I am the embodiment of beauty descended to this land, the manifestation of the word ‘lovely.’ It is only natural that I be adored.’

"I really want to make whale tempura…”

The orca waving its flippers smugly, as if saying "Worship me more!", would be disappointed to hear that the chubby belly that would probably taste great fried is all I can think about. What’s up with that?

As the orca gnashed its sharp teeth in a smug grin, I splashed water on its face. This orca really has an annoying way with words…!

But the adventurers working and those keeping watch all had cheerful expressions. It’s probably partly because of the reward, but perhaps this orca is genuinely beloved by everyone. As obnoxious as it is…I can’t really bring myself to hate it either…

"Is it alright?! We are bringing in water!”

“Are you still alive, Offshore Dweller?”

‘Still alive and kicking!’

"Oh, it seems to be still okay! Water, please!”

Before I knew it, the orca’s body had settled snugly into the channel. Just deep enough to submerge its belly, which should suffice if it provides buoyancy.

Some mages by the shoreline were calling out and waving their hands, concerned for the orca’s wellbeing. Watching the orca respond by flapping its fins vigorously, I asked them to send water. Even though it was low tide, with the help of the wind and water magic guiding it, the cold seawater quickly filled the channel, and the orca’s belly, though barely, lifted off the ground.

‘Aah… the water feels so nice…’

"Alright, push!!!”

"I’ll help too, Rin!”

"I’ll help as well!”

"Me too!”

Seeing me get into the channel to push the orca, Mr. Ville joined, and then other adventurers came to assist. Even the stubborn orca twisted its body, trying to make its way back to sea.

Little by little… the orca’s massive form inched toward the ocean.

The mages led by Mr. Ed periodically added more water, while Mr. Xenon and other priests cast healing spells on the tiring orca. And of course, Ms. Aria and any free adventurers kept lookout, allowing us to focus solely on the orca.

And finally…

With an almighty splash, the biggest wave yet erupts. Looking at my suddenly lightened arms, I see that the massive orca is being released back into the sea.

‘Thank you, little ones! Blessings of the Sea Goddess upon you!’

The instant that bright voice echoed in my mind, the orca surfaced, flipped its tail splashing mightily, and dove back under.

Like an overturned bucket, a torrential downpour rains down, accompanied by a bountiful offering of fish, shellfish, shrimp, crab… more than anyone could ask for washing ashore.

I see… so this is the "reward", huh. Very fitting for that orca.

As I watch its dorsal fin disappear into the distance, something lightly bonks me on the head. Picking it up, it is a beautiful coral bead in a lovely peach hue.

‘Talking with you was quite fun, daughter come from another world! Let’s meet again sometime!’

With that strange, grating laugh, the orca’s cheery voice dissipated from my mind.

"…I want to meet it again, and I don’t… it was like a storm.”

Carefully pocketing the "reward" so as not to lose it, I head for the beach to join in the gathering of sea treasures.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment