Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 90

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Ninety: A Day by the Rocky Sea, Calmly Hunting For Prey

The blue sky, the azure horizon stretching into the distance, and the waves crashing against the rocks… Ah, it really feels like we’re at the sea! This time, since we’re not here for deliveries or requests, we’ve ventured beyond the beach where most adventurers gather to a more secluded rocky area. With all these rocks around, there are tide pools of all sizes to explore! However, I feel like we’re still missing that perfect spot.

Rin, don’t go anywhere dangerous, okay?”

“Of course! Life is precious, after all. I’ll be careful to avoid any risky areas!”

As I hop around inspecting the rocks, Mr. Ville, holding Gomamiso, called out to me worriedly from behind.

Suddenly, my feet come to a halt. Before me lies a tide pool about 3 meters wide and 5 meters long—practically the size of a large public bath. Compared to the largest tide pool I’ve seen before, which was barely the size of a unit bath and as shallow as a washbasin, this one is enormous. It might even be bigger than that murky green fire prevention water tank near my old home. It’s quite deep, with plenty of crevices in the rocks. I can see seaweed, small fish, and other marine life there. This spot looks promising!

“Not too shallow, not too deep… Yeah, this looks perfect!”

“H-Hey, Rin!?”

Mr. Ville, I’m going in for a bit! Please look after Gomamiso!”

I took off my usual rolled-up khaki shirt, causing Mr. Ville to let out a distressed cry. Don’t worry, I’m still wearing a long-sleeved undershirt!

Keeping my sneakers on for safety and putting on some thick gloves, I slowly lower myself into the tide pool. The water is pleasantly cool, a nice contrast to the strong sunlight. Equipped with the harpoon I bought earlier and wearing the sea slime goggles, I’m ready to dive in!

“…!”

The underwater world of this new realm is more beautiful than I imagined. The sea slime goggles work perfectly, without any discomfort. The deepest part is about 2 meters, while the rest is shallow enough for me to stand. It seems safe to explore! The water is incredibly clear, allowing me to see all the way to the rock wall at the back. And it’s so colorful!

What I thought was a bright red flower blooming on the farthest rock turns out to be a sea anemone with its tentacles extended. Next to it, green seaweed sways as if gravity doesn’t exist, while a school of silver-scaled fish swims by. As I turn around to follow them, I see the water’s surface above, fractured like a mosaic glass. Sunlight filters through, creating countless shimmering rays in the water. Perhaps because I can’t hear any outside noise, the underwater world is surprisingly quiet. In this blue-white silence, blending the ocean’s azure and the sky’s blue, I can only hear the soft bubbling of my own breath. I wish I could stay underwater forever, gazing at this scene, but… I’m running out of… breath…

“Puha!”

I break the surface, gulping in a lungful of air. Looking up, I see Mr. Ville sitting on a nearby rock with a surprised expression, and Gomamiso peering intently into the water. I feel like I’ve just returned to the real world. As I swim towards Mr. Ville and Gomamiso, Mr. Ville gently brushes the hair away from my face.

You were underwater for quite a while, Rin. Are you okay?”

I’ve always been good at swimming and diving… Gomamiso, what are you looking at?”

‘Be quiet for a moment! I’m concentrating!’

“Got it.”

I’ve always felt at home in the water… To the point where I’d think, "Why not dive in?" when I couldn’t catch anything at a fishing pond. It’s like my own personal field—maybe even my home turf.

…Well, let’s not take that logic too far, or dry land would become "away" territory…

As for Gomamiso… What exactly is this cat doing when it says it’s "concentrating"? Suddenly, Gomamiso’s golden eyes widen.

‘Nyaa!’

“Huh?!”

“What?!”

In the next moment, as the kitten meows, its thick front paw swipes through the air. Several small fish fly up with a splash of water. Wait, what?! So "concentrating" meant hunting?! Are you some kind of fishing cat?!

“That’s amazing, Miso! You caught your own food!”

‘Right? Right? Aren’t I amazing? Aren’t I clever?’

“Yes, yes! You’re amazing and clever!”

The fish flopping around at the proud kitten’s feet are about 10 cm long with blue backs. They look similar to species like kibinago or young sardines.

According to Survival:

[Swordfish (Juvenile)

Young swordfish. When fully grown, its fins become sharp enough to cut through fishermen’s nets, but for now, its fins and scales are fragile.

Though tasty, it has little edible flesh, so you’d need several for sashimi or other raw preparations.

It’s typically eaten whole, often deep-fried.]

Wow! So these will grow up to be fish that must be hunted or exterminated! And they’re delicious too!

I quickly scoop up the small fish that seem to be losing their energy into my scari-type fish basket. The one I have is square, with floats inside the net. I can open the zippered lid fully to put fish inside or use the small window on the lid to add fish. Even though it floats on water, and even though this is a tide pool, it would be annoying if it drifted away… so I tied the net’s cord securely to a rock.

‘You can pet me now if you like.’

“Ah… Mr. Ville, Gomamiso seems to want some petting. Would you mind?”

“…Is it okay if I do it?”

‘Of course!’

Gomamiso really wants you to pet it, Mr. Ville! Now, I’m going for another dive!”

Gomamiso licks its salt-water-soaked front paws and makes a face like "Bleh!" Too much salt isn’t good for cats, after all. It’s offering its head to be petted, but if I touch Gomamiso with my salty hands, its head will get salty…! So, let’s have Mr. Ville be in charge of praising Gomamiso!

Mr. Ville, looking a bit shy but happy, gently pets Gomamiso, who’s pressing its head against Mr. Ville’s hand, demanding attention. The aura of happiness emanating from them both isn’t just my imagination. With this peaceful scene etched in my mind, I take a deep breath and return to the blue world beneath the surface.

Underwater, it’s as quiet as ever.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. WHAT DO YOU MEAN "he gently brushed her hair out of her face" AUGAHSF 😭❤️

    ReplyDelete