Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 61

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Sixty-one: The Dungeon, Rations, and Me

I had a look around, and the monsters and creatures that appear don’t seem particularly strong… Or rather, should I say they are more bark than bite?”

“Yes. They may look grand or flashy, but their actual strength is lacking, I suppose? I’d say they’re kind of weak?”

“Like that fire bear we faced before…”

“The traps aren’t that strong either.”

While showing a good appetite, we’re sharing information. It’s great that the meal isn’t disrupting the discussion. It’s important to enjoy the food and think “Delicious!”, but it’s also important to eat casually without losing focus in situations like this.

With vegetable soup and ham and egg rice bowl, you can dig in with a spoon without worrying about spilling or making a mess.

I haven’t fought or checked the traps myself, so I don’t really know how strong the enemies are, but from what I’ve heard, the enemies on this floor don’t seem to be much of a threat to us…

Ah… This ham and egg rice bowl is delicious though… The ham is nicely browned and crispy, and when you bite into the slightly curled fat bits, a rich umami juice bursts out. The yolk is rich and creamy, and the white is tender yet firm, thanks to the heat evaporating the moisture. Combined with slightly sweetened soy sauce and fluffy, sweet, sticky rice… you just can’t stop eating!

The hajirokanran and tomatoes balance out the greasiness of the ham and eggs, making it so you can eat endlessly.

“Sorry Rin… The soup is all gone…”

“Oh? I thought I made quite a large batch, but it wasn’t enough?”

“Aww… I wanted more…!”

Me too! For the next meal, can you make a bit more?”

“We’ll gather more ingredients!”

“Got it! I have a larger pot too, so I’ll make plenty next time!”

Around when the conversation lulled, Mr. Ville peered into the pot I had firmly set on the table and looked at me with a rather pitiful expression. I thought I had made quite a lot in a big pot, but I guess it wasn’t enough. And as soon as they realized there were no seconds, everyone’s energy just dropped. Is it really that big a deal…? Yup, it really is, huh…

Not being able to have seconds when you want them is quite heartbreaking, yup.

Was I unconsciously holding back on the amount I made because I was too focused on saving? I need to reflect on that. Before entering the dungeon, everyone said "We’ll gather ingredients!" so I shouldn’t have worried.

From now on, I’ll make a conscious effort to cook more. That way, it should be enough, right?

“Once we’ve filled our bellies and rested, shall we proceed to the next floor?”

“Yeah, I’m for moving forward. Better to finish scouting quickly, no?”

“However, enemies on the next floor may be stronger, so we should proceed cautiously until we understand the tendencies.”

“Mm. With Rin here… Once we get a decent grasp, shall we call it a day then?”

“Good idea. If we find a spot we can rest, let’s stop for today. You okay with that, Rin?”

I’ll just follow everyone’s lead since you all handle scouting and combat. I still have plenty of energy too!”

Indeed. The only thing I can do regarding our progress is report my fatigue level.

…And as we solidified our plans, the oven chimed to signal it was done.

As I open the oven door under the watchful eyes of everyone, a sweet scent of baked carbs and the savory smell of melting cheese waft through the vehicle.

Someone audibly gulps.

“Hmm… Not a bad result for being out of practice, I’d say.”

Rin, what is that…? It looks like… baked sweets…?”

“It’s more of a snack than sweets… those are savory cakes with meat and veggies. I made them hoping they could work as rations.”

Using the leftover cake flour and baking powder, along with the milk, eggs, bacon, and extra vegetables I bought today, I made something that could satisfy hunger while on the move. Once cooled, I can slice and wrap them up so we can eat during our activities.

By the way, I also have a dough made from bread flour, baking powder, water, and salt proofing in the fridge. With that, I can make steamed buns or fry it like pull-apart bread, so it should serve as a staple food. If I have time, I want to cook and freeze extra rice too…

Since I’ll be marching with everyone instead of waiting at a base camp, I want to make meals quickly!

Moreover, after a day’s work, everyone will be hungry.

“…Can’t we eat those now?”

“I’d like to save them as rations for marching… If you’re still hungry, I can peel some fruit, so please bear with me.”

As familiar "I want more" gazes tried to claim the fresh savory cakes, I brandished some oranges I had chilled in the veggie compartment. In an instant, all eight eyes turn to the fruits—how honest of them.

I should probably also dry the orange peels to use as filler for moxa heating pads.

Carefully peeling the orange skin without cutting into the fruit itself, I continue to peel.

…If I have time, I’d love to make some marmalade jam… Crêpes Suzette would be delicious too… There are so many dishes I want to try cooking.

As I contemplate the next meal’s menu, I gradually build a mountain of orange peels.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the wonderful translation, TL-san!!

    ReplyDelete