Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 90

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section Two: “To the Kingdom of Dalbhat

Chapter Ninety

After waiting a few minutes, the door quietly opened and an old man with long white hair tied back entered.

He was probably, or rather undoubtedly, Archbishop Orstra.

"Archbishop Orstra, I’ve brought the Grand Saint as ordered. Her fiancé, the second prince of the kingdom of Parnacota, also came along.”

As Elsa began to introduce us, we immediately stood up. This might be presumptuous, but I should greet him before Prince Oswald.

"It’s an honor to meet you, Archbishop Orstra. I am Philia Adenauer, saint of the kingdom of Parnacota.”

"I am Oswald Parnacota, second prince of the kingdom of Parnacota. As Miss Philia’s fiancé, I’ve accompanied her here today.”

After Prince Oswald and I finished our greetings, Archbishop Orstra slowly approached us.

His magic power seemed greater than mine or Elsa’s.

Elsa told us earlier that he had a long career as an exorcist, and his magic power did not lessen with age, so it must be the result of the archbishop’s training.

"You have come a long way. Welcome. I have heard a much about you from Elsa and Klaus. I wanted to meet you someday, but never imagined it would be like this. And Your Highness Oswald too.”

Speaking gently, Archbishop Orstra greeted us and held out his hand to shake. It looked like he had heard about me from his subordinates, Elsa and Klaus.

"So, Archbishop, could you mention to the King that the engaged couple would like to live in harmony here?”

Elsa suddenly made a demand of the King. However, it might be a little troubling. We were living separately originally, and the idea of living together is a bit nerve-wracking too. We didn’t intend to complain even if it was not possible.

"Those arrangements should not be a problem. We have prepared a residence far larger than she needs to live alone. You have His Majesty’s permission to use it freely, Miss Philia. Whoever lives with you, I doubt he would complain.”

I never dreamed we’d be provided with such a lavish house. Since we came in a hurry, I assumed it would be a modest residence.

"Congratulations on your engagement, albeit belatedly, Miss Philia, Your Highness Oswald. I will recommend to His Majesty that His Highness Oswald receive a position befitting Parnacota’s royalty, so please be at ease.”

It would normally be difficult to handle foreign royalty like Prince Oswald. Moreover, he didn’t come here due to political marriage or exile, which made it even more unusual. I couldn’t guess the extent of the "befitting position" he mentioned, but there’s no mistake he intended to treat Prince Oswald with considerable favor.

"Wait a moment. There’s no need to trouble yourself with such matters, Mister Orstra.”

"Are you truly so humble, Your Highness? We at the headquarters could not possibly mistreat the husband of the next Pope. Please leave everything to us.”

It seemed Archbishop Orstra was taking Prince Oswald’s words as humility.

But that wasn’t what he really meant. Of course, we had reasons for not desiring status in this country.

"I intend to return to Parnacota with Miss Philia. The purpose of this visit is to convey that intention.”

“I-Is that so? Do you mean to say you are both unaware Miss Philia has been chosen as the next Pope!?”

Hearing Prince Oswald’s declaration, Archbishop Orstra looked surprised.

He likely never dreamed that we came here to overturn everything.

Well, given that what we were trying to do was beyond common sense, his reaction was only natural.

"I understand your astonishment, Archbishop Orstra. However, I wish to live out my life not as Pope, but as a saint… No, as Parnacota’s saint.”

I clearly conveyed my will to the archbishop. I never thought I’d be able to state such an outrageous selfish desire to a superior.

There were times when I felt bewildered by this change, but now I could even affirm that aspect of myself. Because there was someone who found me lovable like this. That was why I loved who I was now.

There was no option to back down here.

"The Pope’s will is absolute. I understand it must be difficult to leave your familiar surroundings, but overturning that is out of the question.”

Naturally, the archbishop would say that. As the supreme authority of Clamu, there was no way an archbishop, second only to the Pope, could accept our claim.

"Archbishop Orstra, this is just a possibility, but what if the will was altered?”

"…!? W-What are you saying!? The will was altered!? You make some unique claims, Miss Philia. Who would do such a thing, and for what purpose?”

Archbishop Orstra seemed to find the claim of a tampered will implausible. This was also within my expectations. I never intended to convince him of everything in the first place. I was aware that my assertion might be perceived as absurd.

"As I told Ms. Elsa, I suspect Archbishop Henry altered the will. My basis is…”

I gave the same explanation as I did to Elsa earlier.

Archbishop Orstra occasionally murmured "Oh?" and "I see" but otherwise listened to everything silently until the end.

And when I finished, he let out a brief sigh.

"Haa… While that sounds plausible enough, it’s a stretch. Archbishop Henry has no reason not to become Pope.”

Like Elsa, Archbishop Orstra insisted that Archbishop Henry had no reason to refuse to become Pope.

The motive. Without something convincing on this point, my argument lacked persuasiveness.

"I have some idea about why Archbishop Henry might have altered the will.”

““What!?””

But I hadn’t just been idle these past six days either.

I’d racked my brain about Archbishop Henry’s motive.

Thanks to Himari gathering information for me, I had gained enough confidence in one possibility, which, in my personal opinion, had considerable persuasive power.

"Wait, Great Saint, do you even know the reason? If you do, then why don’t you say it?”

"Of course, I can explain everything, but it remains just one possibility for now. I wanted to meet Archbishop Henry himself first to confirm it.”

In any case, my words were vague, but I think it would be better to explain everything after actually meeting Archbishop Henry first and learning what kind of person he was. I could speak with more conviction that way.

So for now, I chose to break off my explanation there.

"Archbishop Henry should be at the holy site making preparations for the Pope’s funeral. You could meet him after the funeral if you make an appointment. I doubt he’d refuse a meeting with you, Miss Philia.”

"Then, could you arrange for me a meeting with him?”

"While I cannot readily believe Archbishop Henry would do such a thing, if it will convince you, Miss Philia, I will make the arrangements.”

"Thank you very much.”

"We are indebted to you.”

Great. I might be able to meet Archbishop Henry with Archbishop Orstra’s help. Hearing we could meet after attending the Pope’s funeral, Prince Oswald and I looked at each other and nodded.

"Elsa, take Miss Philia and His Highness Oswald to the prepared estate.”

"Sure. It’s not far from here, so we’ll walk. I’ll have a carriage prepared by tomorrow.”

Archbishop Orstra did not oppose our investigation into Archbishop Henry.

Under Elsa’s guidance, we headed towards the mansion arranged for our stay. It was quite close to the cathedral, so a carriage really wasn’t necessary.

"Ohh, Lady Philiaaa! Lady Philiaaa! Welcome home!”

"M-Ms. Lina!? Why are you here?”

"Lina, is that you? What a surprise. Just what’s going on here?”

We were greeted at the estate by Lina. Hearing her familiar voice, Prince Oswald and I couldn’t help but exchange glances.

"Lady Philia, Your Highness Oswald, you both must be tired. I’ve finished preparing dinner.”

"Lady Philia, I detect no suspicious individuals nearby. Please be at ease as I continue standing guard.”

Leonardo and Himari appeared as well. What exactly was happening?

"I had Mammon get permission to place your estate’s servants here. And, I sent him to pick up the three of them. It should be easier to adjust in a similar environment, right?”

Just hearing the familiar voices could be so comforting. We were not back in Parnacota yet, so why did I feel that way? Perhaps the feeling of being home was more about the people welcoming you than the place itself.

"I just wanted to make you feel more comfortable at least.”

"Thank you very much, Ms. Elsa.”

"Let me thank you too, Miss Elsa. You really are kind, just as Miss Philia said.”

"I-I’m not kind at all. I just don’t want to feel indebted.”

When we thanked her, Elsa suddenly blushed and turned away.

I can’t thank her enough for all the help she’s given us. No amount feels sufficient.

"Whoa, I come back from work and sister has the cutest face! Oww!”

Mammon immediately got his head chopped off after dropping by.

I never would have imagined feeling so carefree in a foreign land.

And so, our new life in Dalbhat had begun.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment