Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 108

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Extra

Chapter Ninety-nine Point Five (Mia’s POW)

“What? Sister Philia is going to be the next Pope!? Is that true, Your Highness Fernando?”

The day after the grim news of the Pope’s passing reached the kingdom of Girtonia, I was summoned by Prince Fernando. I was taken aback by the unexpected report.

Because Sister was the kingdom of Parnacota’s saint. To become Pope, she would have to go to the kingdom of Dalbhat.

Moreover, she was engaged to Prince Oswald. There was no way something so cruel could happen, right?

Your Highness Fernando, is that really true? There’s no precedent for a saint becoming Pope.”

In the first place, I’ve never heard of such a thing. Usually, it was an archbishop who succeeded the Pope.

One of the three archbishops was even in his twenties. They would normally choose from them.

Moreover, it was strange for Sister to be suddenly appointed. When we met before, she didn’t mention anything like that at all, so it didn’t feel like she was informed beforehand.

Parnacota only had Philia as its saint, being suddenly told to become Pope would trouble the country. Normally, something like that would be conveyed in advance.

“While I also thought it was a rare personnel decision, Miss Philia is excellent. She likely has the character and ability to be Pope. Oh, if she becomes Pope I’ll have to address her as Lady Philia.”

Your Highness Fernando!”

“Hm? What’s wrong so suddenly? I just thought I’d let you know the news of your sister becoming Pope early, but was there something wrong with that?”

Sister wouldn’t want to become Pope.

She was happy living in Parnacota. When I saw her talking lovingly with Prince Oswald, I felt so relieved.

I never would’ve imagined that Philia would engage in lovey-dovey talk like that. When she was here, she was so detached, especially when she was engaged to that stupid Prince Julius. I was worried about her back then.

I was worried about whether Sister could love someone. I was confident she liked me, but that was a different story.

So there’s no way she’d want to leave the country that changed her like that.

“Um, Your Highness Fernando. I don’t think Sis, I mean my sister, wants to become Pope.”

She doesn’t want to? Well, she did become engaged to Parnacota’s second prince. But if she becomes Pope, they’d probably permit her fiancé to accompany her.”

“No, that’s not the issue.”

Certainly, if she could go to Dalbhat with Prince Oswald, Sister’s heart would be at ease. But being forced to leave her country twice was unimaginable to me. It must be considerably stressful, especially if you love your country.

My sister loves Parnacota. Perhaps even more than her homeland of Girtonia. And yet, to be told to leave, that’s the hardest thing of all. To be unjustly dragged into this for a second time, isn’t it just too much?”

“More than Girtonia… That’s hard to hear. If only I had been more firm, I wouldn’t have allowed my brother’s tyranny. It’s true that I bear responsibility for Miss Philia’s circumstances.”

Prince Fernando lost confidence because of his weak constitution. Seeing him working hard on restoring Girtonia now, I couldn’t understand why he had feared stupid Julius.

While I won’t say Prince Fernando wasn’t part of the cause of the series of disturbances, the current him was working desperately to stand back up while being criticized for his past weak self.

“Will you go see her? Your sister.”

“Huh?”

You’re worried about Miss Philia, right? Stay by her side for a while. I’ll somehow have other people cover your duties of a saint starting next week. I’ll bow my head to Miss Hildegarde too.”

Your Highness Fernando…”

And so, I received permission from Prince Fernando to go see Sister in a week. I was grateful. He perceived what was in my heart and said the words I wanted to hear most.

“Thank you very much. I will never forget this favor.”

“No, it’s fine. You and your sister have helped me greatly. I just want to repay the favor. There’s no need for gratitude.”

But I was still happy. The prince’s goodwill made me genuinely happy. Despite being delicate and timid, his determination to be strong had become somewhat admirable to me.

I think the current him is someone I can respect plenty.

“Um, Mia!”

“Y-Yes! What is it?”

I was surprised! I felt like this was the first time Prince Fernando raised his voice so loudly.

Because I was spacing out, it startled me.

“No, um. When you get back, I have something important to talk about. I want to invite you to dine again if that’s alright?”

“Oh, that’s fine, but… Ahaha, your loud voice surprised me. Could it be you were thinking of proposing to me at the meal?”

“Wha―!? Th-That’s…!”

Oh no! What am I saying…

I tried to brush off my surprise by joking, but it just sounded presumptuous.

Huh? Could Prince Fernando really have been thinking of proposing to me? What should I do? I’m…

“Um, Your Highness Fernando. Please forget what I just said. I-I’m looking forward to the meal. I’ll listen calmly then.”

“R-Right. Haha, looks like I’ll be able to sleep well until you get back. I’ll put in a good word with Miss Hildegarde, so please say hello to her too.”

Somehow the atmosphere got awkward, so I quickly bowed to Prince Fernando and left the room.

Ah, why did I have to say something like that? I’m really hopeless. I was supposed to receive a wonderful proposal like Sis. No, regretting it now won’t help. What’s important to me right now is Sister.

Thinking that, I obtained Mother Hilda’s approval to go to see Philia when I got home.

You are the brightest child, so I’m sure your presence will bring some comfort to Philia, even if only a little.”

You have quite low expectations. I plan to negotiate with them to somehow improve Sis’s treatment.”

“That’s something Philia herself will likely consider and do something herself. Just make sure you support her without getting in the way.”

Yeah, that’s right. It’s Sis after all.

She was probably thinking of some brilliant plan way ahead of me. I could almost imagine her saying something like, “The will is fake, and here’s the evidence!”

Alright! I’m going to Parnacota to accompany Sis on her travel!

“What? My sister isn’t in this country anymore?”

“Yes, Philia went to Dalbhat with my brother. Why didn’t you send a letter before coming here?”

“Um, I thought she would be surprised if I suddenly showed my face. Ahahaha.”

“That’s not something I’d expect Philia’s little sister to say.”

Wanting to surprise Sister by visiting her estate, it was empty. I was left speechless.

And when I went to Parnacota Castle and met the First Prince, Prince Reinhardt, he looked at me dumbfounded. Well, I couldn’t blame him—I must have looked quite ridiculous rushing over like that. But I was convinced that suddenly showing up would be more moving. I thought it’d cheer Sister up for sure.

Ms. Philia intends to prove that Archbishop Henry tampered with the will in Dalbhat.”

I figured…”

“Oh? Were you anticipating Ms. Philia’s actions?”

“Even I thought this personnel change was strange, so I anticipated that Sis, I mean, my sister, would be considering such possibilities.”

As expected of her. She intended to resist this unreasonable situation.

Alright! Then I’ll also go to Dalbhat and support Sis!

“Then I’ll also go to Dalbhat and help her. Don’t worry. I’ll also do my utmost so she can return to Parnacota.”

“Even making the Clamu Church’s headquarters your enemy? I’m rather against it. Refusing to become Pope is tantamount to picking a fight with the world.”

I didn’t expect to hear such a valid point. I thought Prince Reinhardt was more open-minded. After all, he did ask Klaus back then to let me accompany Prince Oswald to the Interstice.

I want her and my brother to live peacefully and calmly. So I was hoping to ask you, who I thought felt the same way, to persuade them.”

“Unfortunately, I cannot meet your expectations, and even if I were to try to persuade her, it would likely be futile. Despite appearances, my sister is quite stubborn. It’s unlikely that she would change her mind or consider different options based on my words.”

“A stubborn, huh? I see.”

Sister would likely continue down the path she believed in, no matter what anyone says. That was because it was her strength.

She might be perfect as a saint, but that was just one aspect of her. What was truly remarkable about Philia was her unwavering strength of heart. Once she set her mind to something, she would pursue it relentlessly.

“Actually, my brother is quite stubborn as well. He can be quite difficult to handle at times.”

“A well-matched pair, right?”

“Indeed. That’s why I want them to find happiness, but they seem to prefer advancing down thorny paths contrary to my wishes.”

Seeing Prince Reinhardt shrug his shoulders and smile sadly, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of admiration. He seemed kinder and more compassionate than anyone I had ever met.

Despite his differing opinions with Prince Oswald and Philia, he sincerely wished for their happiness.

"Then I’ll fully support those two in completing the thorny path to the best of my ability. Leave it to me. I’m somewhat confident in my skills, you know.”

“Hmm, you also seem stubborn. And resemble my brother a little… I’ll leave those two to you. Please tell them I’m getting ready to say to them welcome home.”

Your Highness Reinhardt… Yes! Please leave it to me! I’ll be sure to pass on the message!”

Smiling happily this time, Prince Reinhardt entrusted those two to me.

What Sister was trying to do would surely be difficult, but I believed everything would be fine.

Because so far, we have overturned desperate situations countless times. This time we would surely overcome it again.

I left Girtonia and arrived in Parnacota the next day. Now, I got ready and headed west to the great kingdom of Dalbhat, believing in Sister’s determination to move forward toward hope.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment