Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 47

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Forty-seven: Sautéing the Squid and Frying the Shrimp for an All-night Drink Fest

"This is a souvenir for you, Rin.”

"Ah! These are tomatoes!”

"You seemed to really enjoy using them earlier, so I figured you liked them.”

"Yes, I love them! Thank you so much!”

The cooler box Mr. Xenon is carrying contains some tomatoes, a few bottles of wine, and a chunk of ham. Apparently, Mr. Ville noticed my tomato enthusiasm and decided to buy some extras as a souvenir for me.

Wow, the leader who dislikes vegetables brought vegetables as a souvenir for me…! How thoughtful…! Leader, I’m seriously grateful! Now I can add tomatoes to the spicy sautéed squid!

I made some nibbles for the toast, so let’s get started!”

“What about you, Rin?”

I’ve still got a couple of dishes to finish up, so you all go ahead.”

I cannot allow that, Rin. You must join us at the table as well… I won’t have you working alone.”

“That’s right. You’re one of the Gourmands now. No need for that silly restraint.”

As I accepted the tomatoes from Mr. Ville, I handed him the fried small shrimp—a straightforward exchange. Alright! Let’s make some additional snacks right away…! I was all pumped up, but… I never expected them to stop me with such a serious expression… Can’t help feeling a bit moved, can I?

But cooking is more like a hobby for me, so it’s not out of any sense of obligation. I’m doing it because it’s fun!

I’ll be working right here in the cabin, so think of it as live cooking entertainment! I want you to enjoy everything piping hot.”

“…You really aren’t just being modest, are you?”

“Not at all…! But if it really bothers you, would you mind getting the fire started in the grill? I can finish up while that’s happening…”

“Alright, got it. One sec.”

Though I stated my true feelings, Mr. Ville still seemed a bit concerned, so I asked him to prep the fire instead. Mr. Xenon also offered to help by getting glasses ready for drinks. Meanwhile, Mr. Ed and Ms. Aria were setting up perimeter nets and bug deterrent wards.

Not to buy time per se… but I’d better use this chance to finish the cooking!

While reheating the bouillabaisse-style soup, I also quickly work on two varieties of sautéed squid!

First, I’ll purée the gifted tomatoes into melted butter in a frying pan and sauté them. Once the moisture has evaporated, I’ll add the sliced squid with skin, which I’ve prepared in advance, and sauté them together. Then, I’ll season it with my special blend of mixed spices, a hint of curry powder, and a little bit of salt or soy sauce. After simmering it down, it’ll be ready! If you prepare the ingredients in advance, it’s actually a very simple dish to make.

I plate the spicy sauté, quickly rinse the frying pan, and add more butter. This time, I’ll also sauté the sliced squid with skin. But when it’s about halfway cooked, I’ll add soy sauce melted with squid liver. I’ll stop cooking when the soy sauce has reduced a bit. Once it’s done, I’ll pour it over bite-sized steamed potatoes, and it’s ready to serve.

“If I just get the log roast into the oven, it’ll be all set!”

Rin. I’ve got the fire going, what heat level do you want?”

“This level is fine! Time to grill the shrimp!”

As Mr. Ville returned just in time, I fluttered the familiar barbeque grill net in front of him while holding a bowl containing lobster and large shrimp from the camping car in my other hand.

The lobsters are huge, but they’re fresh enough to be served as sashimi, so a simple grilling should be perfect!

Leaving the squirming creatures on the grill net to sizzle, I head back to Campy. It will take some time for them to cook through, and a little char on the shells is fine since we’ll peel them anyway. Let me keep an eye on them so they don’t escape or burn too much, and then we can enjoy the feast!

“The guild payment came through, including a share for the fire bear, but I’ll handle the payout tomorrow. For now, let’s toast to another mission… completed without incident!”

After glasses and preferred beverages were distributed, Mr. Ville led us in a clinking toast. Mr. Ville and Mr. Ed with ales, Mr. Xenon with red wine, Ms. Aria with sparkling wine, and I with chilled barley tea. Despite the crowded table filled with dishes, there is still a bit of space left, as the dishes aren’t piled up on individual plates like at lunchtime.

"Shho tashy! The shrimp are sho crispy! Why ish thish ale going down sho eashily?!”

"Shquid ish sho good… evwen with the veggiesh, sho tasshty…”

"Preparing the potatoes this way gives them a nice moist texture. I used to dislike their dry texture, but this is much better, I don’t mind it at all.”

"…I miscalculated… should I have bought another barrel?”

My, my, the snacks are disappearing at a tremendously rapid pace! And the drinks are being drained just as quickly, but with all those bottles and the barrel stocked up, we should still have plenty, right?

…Alright, before everything disappears, I should join the scramble too! Scooping up servings of the tomato-squid sauté and buttery potatoes, let me start with the tomato sauté first…

…Ahh… I really outdid myself with this one.

The aromatic punch of cumin and coriander gives way to the rich umami depth of buttery squid. Then the reduced, sweet-tart tomatoes provide a refreshing counterpoint before the curry powder gently tingles the palate. It’s deceptively addictive—I nearly lost myself and kept mindlessly shoveling it in. Even just using curry powder instead of my spice mix would still be delicious! You could definitely enjoy it over rice, or maybe with noodles, or even on its own!

By the way, my custom spice mix is really just whatever strikes my fancy—a base of cumin and coriander, plus paprika, chili, cardamom, cloves, allspice… any piquant spices that catch my eye. No added salt, so it’s versatile for seasoning with salt, soy sauce, or miso.

Using the barley tea to cool the lingering chili heat, now I pick up some buttery potatoes. Here, the rich umami of the liver is skillfully enhanced by the butter. The creamy dairy sweetness seems to mellow any potential fishy notes. With the addition of the savory burnt soy sauce, there’s no hint of any unpleasant smell. The tentacles are chewy, the innards are crunchy, and the body is firm, each providing a different texture with every bite, keeping the palate intrigued. The butter, soy sauce, and concentrated squid essence soak into the heartier potato chunks, melting softly in the mouth. The scent of the sea and the earth gently fades away as I chew.

Squid is so delicious…!

As I watch the plates emptying before my eyes, I feel a certain sense of achievement… I quietly rise from my seat to retrieve the finished oven dish.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment: