Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 95

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Ninety-five: Frying Food, Feeling High, Dealing with the Cat, and Even Feeling a Bit Envious

Though I’d set aside half for freezing, the mountain of ingredients on the plate was still impressive. After cleaning up the leftover oil from frying the swordfish, I put the pan back on the stove.

Rin, Rin! Can I… can I help with anything?!”

“Let’s see… Could you slice some lemons for me? Rounds or wedges, whichever you prefer.”

“Got it! Leave it to me!”

Ms. Aria, visibly excited at the mention of fried food, looked at me with sparkling eyes. She must be really eager. I remember thinking during our seafood barbeque last time that Ms. Aria really loves fried food. I handed her the lemons and a plate. In an instant, her hands moved swiftly, and the lemons were perfectly halved on the plate.

“…The power of that thread is amazing!”

“There’s not much I can’t cut!”

Ms. Aria puffed out her chest proudly. As always, her figure was quite eye-catching. Since she had only cut the lemons in half, I asked her to quarter them. Meanwhile, I turned back to the pan.

Perhaps some moisture from the previous batch remains. There is a faint sizzling sound as the oil heated up, creating a shimmering effect in the pan. Oil convects too, huh… I think absently as the shimmering gradually settles. When I dip the cooking chopsticks in, tiny bubbles fizze up from the submerged part.

Hmm. Just about the right temperature.

“Alright, here we go! Let’s eat them fresh out of the fryer!”

“Yay! Fries! Fries!”

Aria, don’t get in Rin’s way, okay? Rin, is there anything else we need to prepare?”

“Well… There are sauces and condiments in the fridge, so please take out whatever you like!”

“I see. So we can add our preferred seasonings. Understood.”

Without missing a beat, Mr. Xenon opened the fridge door and took out various bottled condiments. It’s really helpful when everyone’s on the same page, united by the common goal of "appetite." Well, I can easily imagine that everyone just wants to eat fried food quickly… so I’ll try to make them swiftly!

I carefully slide the ingredients into the oil, trying not to disturb the gently swaying surface. Immediately, a sizzling sound fills the air as moisture pops and the breadcrumbs scatter across the bubbling oil surface.

Ah! It already smells delicious! The aroma is wonderful!

I’m tempted to poke at them, but I must resist… The batter might come off!

“…That’s a hunger-inducing smell and sound…”

I know. Just this sound alone could make me wolf down a bowl of rice!”

I could probably go for two bowls…”

I sensed someone behind me and turned to find Mr. Ville peering into the bubbling pan, holding his stomach. That’s quite the comment from the Gourmands’ leading foodie!

…Huh? You’re asking if I’m not a foodie? Come on! I’m in the Foodie Hall of Fame!

…But seriously, we just had a conversation straight out of a Rakugo sketch… I wonder if I can pay with the sound of falling coins? Well, not that it matters, we’ll be eating soon anyway! The pieces aren’t too big, so they’ll fry quickly.

“Okay, this one’s done, this one’s done, a bit more for this, done…”

“…Amazing, you can tell just by looking?”

“Well, they say if it makes a sizzling sound when you lift it, it’s done. Anyone can learn with practice!”

I remember a cooking class instructor saying something like that when I was trying to expand my recipe repertoire. Since then, I’ve used it as a guideline when frying.

I place the fried pieces one by one onto a large plate lined with thick kitchen paper. The fragrant aroma of freshly fried food is quite potent. Even more so when you’re hungry like we are now. Suppressing the urge to snack, I keep battling with the oil. Thankfully, my stomach is strong enough not to get heartburn or indigestion from the smell of frying oil. I’m grateful to my mom for giving me such a sturdy constitution.

“Done, done, done, done, done, done… Done! Alright, finished!”

As I carried the plate loaded with beautifully golden-fried food to the table, I saw that the drinks, individual plates, and condiments were all ready.

It seems Ms. Aria had taken over from Mr. Ville in looking after Gomamiso, who had been startled by the frying sounds. The cat, purring contentedly with narrowed eyes, was being gently rocked in Ms. Aria’s arms, pressed against her ample chest. The faint melody I could hear—was it a lullaby?

It’s truly a kind world… but… Mr. Ed is glaring at Gomamiso with a strained expression…

Oh no… Is this a tense situation?! Why is it tense?!

“A-Anyway, the fried food is ready!”

“Yay! Fries! Goma, sorry, okay?”

‘Why?! Am I not as important as fried food?!’

“Well, if it’s between Gomamiso and freshly fried food, the fried food wins.”

Ms. Aria’s face, which had been full of affection moments ago, instantly changed to that of a child excited for fried food. Even so, the way she called out to Gomamiso before gently setting it down on the floor shows Ms. Aria’s kindness, I think. However, Gomamiso, who was suddenly moved from the heavenly embrace to the floor, looked quite displeased. Come to think of it, this cat really likes being held and petted, doesn’t it?

Now it has set its sights on me, rubbing—or rather, headbutting—against my shins.

But now’s not the time to pay attention to Gomamiso!

Dodging Gomamiso, who is trying to rub against me with its whole body, I take a seat in the chair.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment: