Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 11

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Eleven: Very Berry Nice Day!

At the top of the slope is a mixed forest, as I expected. The spaces between the trees are wider than I thought, and the sunlight reaches all the way down. It looks like the underbrush has been cut too, is someone maintaining this periodically?

“Oh, this area is rich in nature, so occasionally, merchants from caravans traveling along the nearby highway come to gather things from the forest. Every few months, adventurers and lumberjacks dispatched by the guild come to maintain the forest.”

“Adventurers go too?”

“Because wild beasts and monsters appear. Thinning them out regularly helps ensure the safety of the highway.”

“I see!”

Come to think of it, when I first came to Rhielle Lake, I might have passed near the forest! It had a road-like feel, with the ground compacted and easy to run on… Right. If it’s a road used by caravans, it would be well-maintained.

Mr. Ville says that according to the usual schedule, the forest should have been maintained and monsters thinned out about a week ago, so we don’t need to be too cautious yet. That’s a bit reassuring. In the world I used to live in, there were news stories about people being attacked by bears or boars while harvesting mountain vegetables and mushrooms…

Now then. I spread out the plastic bag I stashed in my sling bag, and immediately start picking! Of course, only enough for snacks—I’m keeping in mind to take as much as I can for personal consumption. The blessings of the forest belong to everyone.

The tree isn’t too tall, and many branches fork in low places, so even I with my less-than-impressive height can easily pick the berries. The fruits, colored so dark that they appear black, fall with just a gentle touch. Since the leaves can also be used in herbal tea, I’ll take some of the young, soft-looking ones too.

As I toss the large fruit into my mouth, sweet and rich juice overflows with a satisfying juiciness. Perhaps due to a faint acidity lingering in the aftertaste, it doesn’t get tiresome, and I could eat as much as I want. Yeah, it tastes quite similar to the mulberries I had in the past. I carefully pick a decent amount, avoiding any with insect holes or those not fully ripe, and as my palm fills up, I drop them into the plastic bag.

Mr. Ville, Mr. Ville, don’t eat them straight off the tree…”

“Ah, sorry. They’re just so sweet-sour and delicious, that I got carried away… But you’re eating them too, right?”

“…You noticed? Halberries are yummy!”

Well, it happens, right? Before you know it, you’ve snacked on a few while picking. Both Mr. Ville and I are picking these halberries but also snacking pretty often…

Oh, did he accidentally get a really sour one? Mr. Ville’s face is all scrunched up.

…Feeling a bit sorry for him, I handed him a slightly larger one I just picked, and he silently ate it. This time, it seems sweet, and he nods approvingly.

Mr. Ville, your mouth is a mess!”

“Mm. Ah, sorry… Rien (Clean)!”

With his ruby eyes shining, utterly engrossed in eating, Mr. Ville’s mouth and surrounding area were already completely purple. Somehow it bothered me, and before I knew it, I had wiped his mouth with my mini towel…

…Haah! I messed up…!!!

Since I also wipe mouths as part of assisting with meals at my caretaking work, my hand moved without thinking! And wiping didn’t do much for the color either… Really, sorry about that!!

I quickly withdrew my hand, but Mr. Ville didn’t look particularly bothered. If anything, he seems a little disappointed… Is that my imagination? With a small frown, he snapped his fingers and at the same time the pale green light I saw yesterday appeared, and in an instant the purple on his mouth was gone. Unlike yesterday, the light this time is also enveloping my body, getting rid of the juice stains on my fingers and dirt on my clothes from climbing.

“Wh… whoaa! It’s so clean now! What was that?”

“It’s a type of ‘livelihood magic’. It is super useful for adventures when you can’t take baths or do laundry.”

I couldn’t help but get a little excited seeing my hands and clothes all clean, but isn’t this inevitable? Even my slightly sweaty body feels refreshed like I just showered!? Amazing! Magic is amazing!! Fantastic!!!

…Hmm? Why’s he looking at me like…?

When I nervously turn to look at Mr. Ville, he is gazing with a kindly, warm look… Hard to describe…

Damn it! I’m just an immature person who can’t act her age, right?! A hopeless individual who never seems to outgrow her childishness!

By the way, although he has cleaning magic, I asked why he was bathing in the river yesterday—turns out it was simply because “the cool river water looked refreshing after walking in this hot weather!”… Such a carefree reason!

…Well, I’m just glad he’s alive…

Uhahahaha! A bountiful catch!

Even while snacking, I somehow got a good amount of halberries in the plastic bag. My fingers are purple again, but it can’t be helped. Delicious things require a sacrifice.

Yes… I sacrificed my fingertips… sacrificed to my appetite.

As for Mr. Ville, although he put the berries he picked in my bag, he also snacked quite a bit—I’ll note that here.

…What? Snacking is bad?

…Well, he cast a cleansing spell on our mouths and fingertips a little while ago. What about that? I’d say Mr. Ville and I are pretty evenly matched when it comes to our appetites, yup.

Rin!”

“Huh? Choke!”

Just as I started reaching for a branch on the next tree thinking I’d gather some more… Mr. Ville’s sharp voice shook my eardrums. At the same time, my body was suddenly pulled, and my nose strongly bumped into something. Despite almost dropping the bag from the impact, I miraculously managed to keep a tight grip—I’m really something!

Right in front of me is a surprisingly hard leather breastplate. And the scent grazing my nose is maintenance oil… Realizing my body is being squeezed tightly, I glance down to see thick arms wrapped around me. Looking up, I see Mr. Ville’s face gazes sharply into the forest, sword in hand.

Eh…?! What?! …Uh, am I… being embraced by Mr. Ville?!

The moment I realized the situation, a wave of embarrassment surged. No, no, I mean, come on! In all my life, I’ve carried a guy before, but I’ve never been carried by a guy, you know!?

I feel dizzy as if all the blood in my body rushed to my head… Yet my mind feels oddly calm and chilled. Mr. Ville, holding me close with his left arm, wields a double-edged sword with his right hand. The reason becomes clear as I follow the path of the sword, there are three bird-like creatures, as black as crows, looking about to pounce at any moment, scratching the earth with sharp talons.

What are those… huge crows…?

[Phantom Fowl (Edible: Delicious)

A bird-type monster living in mountainous regions.

     occasionally attack humans.]

Huh? Mon… ster…?

The translator’s corner

By the way, mulberry jam is delicious with yoghurt or kefir.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

3 comments:

  1. Fowl as in chicken?
    It is a lot less intimidate with that kind of name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food secured it seems lmao

    ReplyDelete