Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 102

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section Four: “Vows of Love in a Foreign Land”

Chapter One Hundred and Two

"Are you ready to go?”

"Hmm. You seem quite composed. As expected.”

"Sis, I’ll do my best too. I’ll definitely accomplish it.”

Today was the day for the papal succession ritual. If I drank the blood of God from the Holy Grail, I would become the new Pope and be unable to leave this country until I die.

To prevent that, I intended to settle everything here.

I didn’t harbor any personal grudge against Archbishop Henry. While he might resent me, I myself didn’t have such feelings towards him.

It would have been easier if I harbored feelings of hatred or anger.

Archbishop Henry must face consequences for his actions.

I wouldn’t run from the obligations I must fulfill. I saw Mia’s strength with my own eyes. While hurting, she desperately ran around for the sake of her homeland.

If I was to call Parnacota my homeland, if I was to proclaim myself as the saint of Parnacota, then I wanted Oswald and Mia to see such strength in me. Once I solidified that determination, I strangely calmed down and reached an ideal mental state.

"I thought you might be nervous compared to when we first met, but it doesn’t seem to be a concern.”

"Ms. ElsaI’m sorry for worrying you.”

"Wow! Mia, you’re here! You look even cuter than last time! Let’s forget about the papal succession ritual and go on a date!”

"I’ll have to politely decline.”

"Even when turning me down, your smile is wonderful, Mia!”

Elsa and Mammon came to the estate too. They also would be accompanying me to the succession ritual. They volunteered to be my guards in case anything happened.

While they were from the headquarters, I was grateful for their assistance.

"I’m sorry for the trouble.”

"It’s fine. It’s a family matter, so to speak. Besides, the work of exorcists has been slow lately.”

"What a pitiful familiar I’m, stuck entertaining Sister in her boredom.”

"Then, I could make you work harder. What should I do, I wonder?”

"Philia, teach Sister Elsa that even devils have human rights!”

They chatter as usual. We had been acquainted since the incidents of mysterious disappearances, and I knew they were reliable. With Elsa and Mammon accompanying us, I felt reassured. Without a worry, I proceeded toward the holy site.

"So this is the holy site. I’m glad my dream of coming here with you, Sis, has come true.”

"While this isn’t how I imagined it, I’m also moved to be here with you, Mia.”

Since Mia was the saint of Girtonia, she was permitted to enter the holy site.

Prince Oswald was royalty, and Elsa and Mammon were affiliated with the headquarters. Since there was a ceremony today, special permission was required to enter the sacred grounds, but we were all granted such permission.

I wasn’t worried since everyone except Mia attended the Pope’s funeral, but there was a chance Archbishop Henry would interfere. It was fortunate those concerns were unnecessary. However, that luck might not last, so we couldn’t let our guard down. We had to stay alert.

"But your expression is stiff despite all those words.”

"I just have this kind of face.”

"It’s an important ritual, Miss Mia. Of course, Miss Philia would be a little nervous too.”

"With me and His Highness Oswald here, relax more.”

“That’s just my natural expression. Your Highness, I’m not nervous at all.”

Even Prince Oswald believed I was tense.

I thought I was acting normal. I believed I had achieved a good mental state.

"Is that so? You seem a bit strained compared to when we left the estate.”

"Oh, even you noticed, Your Highness Oswald!? She really looks that way, right?”

Still, the two of them didn’t back down from their opinions. In fact, it seemed like they were seeing the same thing.

Does my face look tense? I don’t feel that way at all.

"It does not differ from your typical expression.”

"No matter what expression you wear, Philia, you’re always beautiful.”

While Elsa said there was no change, it bothered me.

Could I be tense without realizing it, and will fail at using the spell?

"It’ll be fine. We’ll go home together, won’t we? Just focus on that.”

Your Highness…”

With him gently speaking to me while holding my hand, I felt the tension leave my shoulders. It looked like I really was exerting unnecessary tension. I didn’t even realize it at all.

"As expected of His Highness Oswald. He got you to relax your expression, Sis.”

"…I definitely didn’t have that expression.”

"Then why you look away?”

Mia made fun of me as I did that. She loved to tease Prince Oswald and me if given the chance.

Should I tell Master about it? She really was an incorrigible little sister. As we were talking like that, we quickly arrived near the altar of the sacred site.

"Lady Philia, we’ve been waiting. Please ascend to the altar. And―”

"We can’t go on the altar, so let’s hurry over there. Do your best, Great Saint.”

"Philia, I can only see you having a happy life. Go without a care in the world.”

"Sis, after everything is over, we…”

"Do your best, Miss Philia. I’ll be watching from the seats.”

Here was where I part from everyone. Obviously, only I could go up on the altar.

With everyone’s warm words, I gradually approached the altar step by step.

Beside the altar was Archbishop Henry, who courteously bowed to me.

"Well, well, Philia. No, Your Holiness. The time has come. I cannot hide my excitement at the birth of a new Pope.”

"Do you really think so?”

"…Heh heh heh, of course. I’m sure my late sister would be delighted too. That her successor became Pope.”

Archbishop Henry’s distorted grin. While I didn’t know Elizabeth, from what I heard from Grace, she didn’t seem like the type to be happy about something like that.

"Greet the previous Pope on the altar. Then drink the blood of God and guide us. Come! New Pope Philia! Let the ritual begin!”

"Understood…”

Step by step, I ascend the stairs, approaching the Holy Grail and the coffin on the altar. Archbishop Henry showed no signs of taking any action up to this point. With this, I should be able to use the Divine Spell without disrupting my concentration.

"First, convert all the magic power in my body to the divine magic power…!”

"What―!?”

"What was that!?”

"It’s dazzling!”

"Isn’t she supposed to start the ritual!?”

This was the smoothest I have converted all the magic power in my body into the divine one. The headquarters members who were watching the ritual seemed to be making some commotion, but I couldn’t afford to stop.

"Alright, here I go! Spiritism Magic…!”

"Huh!? The ground is shaking now too!”

"Look at the sky! Light is gathering on Lady Philia!”

"That’s definitely… A Divine Spell!?”

"Haah, haah, my consciousness… is…”

As expected, this was quite difficult. If I let my guard down, my consciousness threatened to slip away in an instant. I was forcibly refining the divine magic power in my body and using magic humans normally can’t handle, so my stamina was drained intensely. But thanks to my practice, I succeeded with the Spiritism Magic.

‘Unbelievable. To think someone succeeded at the Spiritism Magic to call souls… Who is the spellcaster?’

"It is me. It might be unusual to say ‘nice to meet you’ at this point, but… I am Philia Adenauer. The saint of Parnacota.”

‘I see, Great Saint Philia. For what reason have you called back this one’s soul? It seems an extraordinary situation.’

"That’s the Pope’s voice!”

"She really used the Divine Spell for the communication with the dead!”

"But why!?”

The soul of the deceased Pope spoke to me in a low voice.

When I introduced myself, he promptly asked for the reason.

He probably sensed the weakness that I couldn’t maintain this spell for long.

The surrounding people also seemed to recognize that the Pope’s soul had descended.

"Pardon my rudeness for the abrupt question. Your Holiness, regarding your will naming me as the next Pope, is that true?”

I came here and worked hard with everyone’s cooperation to get the answer to this question.

Prince Oswald, Elsa, Mammon, and Alice, then Mia—it’s because they encouraged me that I successfully performed this spell.

Alright, please tell us the answer. If we can hear that answer, our efforts will be rewarded.

‘What!? I appointed Henry as the next Pope! Why would he tell such lies!?’

“““What!?”””

The Pope’s soul said in a shaken tone that he named not me, but Archbishop Henry.

Hearing those words, everyone turned their gazes to Archbishop Henry.

"What is the Pope saying!?”

"The next Pope he appointed was Archbishop Henry!?”

"Why!? How can that be!?”

They loudly reacted in surprise and tried to rush at Archbishop Henry.

I heard the words I wanted to hear. Now I just have to carefully dispel the Divine Spell―

"Heh heh heh, don’t come near me! You fools!”

““What!?””

As Archbishop Henry raised his arm, a gust of wind erupted, blowing away those who attempted to approach. Furthermore, a cage made of green metal rose up on the platform, and I found myself trapped inside. It was a careless mistake. Although I sensed it, my body felt heavier than I anticipated, and I couldn’t move.

"Heh heh heh, this is made of metal that absorbs magic power! I’ll take that divine power! Heh heh heh, ha ha ha ha ha!”

Holding a black crystal sphere in one hand, Archbishop Henry laughed triumphantly. It seemed absorbing the divine magic power was his real goal.

The black crystal sphere shone in rainbow colors, draining the divine magic power from me through the cage.

"Now! With this, I can use Divine Spells too! The revival of Hades, god of the underworld! Heh heh heh, Elizabeth! I’ll get to see you soon! Wait for me!”

It seemed Archbishop Henry’s goal was to revive Hades and bring Elizabeth back to life.

In other words, my calling out the Pope’s soul like this went exactly according to his calculations. He had orchestrated events to go this way…

"I heard you were extremely talented as Elizabeth’s successor! I believed that someone so skilled would also learn the Divine Spells! But everything is in the palm of my hand!”

"Even if you revive Hades, the God won’t move as you wish. On the contrary, he will undoubtedly bring great turmoil to this country… No, the entire continent.”

"That’s what the Staff of Divine Shackling is for! Heh heh heh, ha ha ha ha! My loyal servants are retrieving it as we speak! Oh! It’s futile for you to go after them now! You definitely won’t make it in time!”

The Staff of Divine Shackling that could control God. It was supposed to be securely contained, but Archbishop Henry’s familiars who were guarding him before seemed to have gone to retrieve it.

It was the worst case I anticipated. So Archbishop Henry’s goal really was reviving Elizabeth.

I’m counting on you, Mia.

Just in case, I had asked her to protect the Staff of Divine Shackling.

Since it had come to this, she was the only one I could rely on.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. It was pretty obvious that was the real goal, though?

    ReplyDelete