Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 101

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section Four: “Vows of Love in a Foreign Land”

Chapter One Hundred and One

"Calling the Pope’s soul to converse!? No matter how amazing you are, Sis, using a Divine Spell is too dangerous!”

When I told Mia how I planned to expose Archbishop Henry’s misconduct, she exclaimed in surprise. Mia was a saint like me. She knew the risks of using a Divine Spell. With a concerned look in her eyes, she glanced over at me.

"Don’t worry. I’ve become fairly adept at activating the spell. I’m confident I won’t fail.”

"Rather than being confident you’ll succeed, you’re confident you won’t fail. That’s just like you, Sis.”

"I didn’t consciously word it that way…”

"If that’s how you put it, sis, then I’m not worried about the Divine Spell. I believe in you.”

Mia readily believed in my words that I wouldn’t fail. I had the calculations that after practicing and increasing the success rate, I could achieve 100% success on the actual attempt, so I was sure I wouldn’t betray her trust.

"But, but! What if you faaail? It’d be big trouble. Lady Philia, isn’t there a safer method?”

"Don’t worry, Ms. Lina. I’m currently in the midst of devising a safer method.”

"O-Okay. If you say so, then it must be safe. I believe you.”

It looked like I only gave Lina a rough explanation about the Divine Spells before, and with the constant explosive sounds from the garden these days, I seemed to have worried her more than Mia.

"Hey hey, Lina. Can you just believe her so easily?”

"Theen, don’t you believe in Lady Philia, Your Highness Oswald?”

"Of course, I believe in her.”

"Then it’s fine for me to believe too, right?”

"Well, you’re right, but. You’re always too lighthearted.”

Prince Oswald was astonished by how quickly Lina returned to her usual smile. Thanks to Lina’s gentle atmosphere, my mood lightened considerably, and I had been helped by her in that regard. She was invaluable as someone I could consult about anything.

"Your Highness, please don’t say that. I’m glad Ms. Lina believes in me.”

I always believe in you, Lady Philia!”

"Hmm. If you say so, Miss Philia, then Lina is fine as she is I guess.”

Prince Oswald looked at the grinning Lina out of the corner of his eyes with arms folded.

I’d be troubled if she changed. The mansion brightened because the ever-cheerful Lina was here.

"Sis, I understand calling the soul to converse, but how are you getting close to the Pope’s body? You can’t possibly force your way into the holy site, right?”

The entrance to the holy site was protected by large defensive walls and gates, with members of both the Dalbhat’s Knights and the church headquarters constantly on guard. As Mia said, it was not within our position to forcefully storm such a place. However, I hadn’t the slightest worry about getting close to the Pope’s body.

"Mia, did you forget? I’m supposed to be the next Pope. The ritual to make me the new Pope will be held in the holy site. In other words, I’ll definitely be close to the Pope’s body then.”

"Ah, right. My bad.”

Mia stuck out her tongue while tapping her head. Mia reacted this way when I scolded her as her senior saint before too. While she had a mischievous side, she was honest and learned quickly, so she never made the same mistake twice—that was her strong point.

I believe she’ll surely surpass me and become a wonderful saint someday.

"But Sis, there’s one other thing that’s been bothering me.”

"One other thing?”

"Yeah. Is Archbishop Henry’s scheme really harassment towards Parnacota?”

Unlike earlier, her eyes shone sharply. It seemed Mia thought Archbishop Henry had some other objective.

I was certain Archbishop Henry falsified the will and his motive was related to Elizabeth, but did I overlook something…?

"Maybe? I did consider other possibilities, but this was the only one I could think of.”

Regarding Archbishop Henry’s motive, there were just too few other possibilities that came to mind, so I admitted I forced things to fit somewhat. Our interactions were too limited. When considering connections, Elizabeth was the only one. I hadn’t met her personally, but I became Parnacota’s saint to replace her, Archbishop Henry’s sister, so that could be called a connection.

"Yeah, you’re right. First of all, Archbishop Henry and you don’t even know each other. It would be illogical for him to harass you. Even if his motive is strange, it’s understandable.”

"Who cares about the motive?! Lady Philia has already concluded that Archbishop Henry tampered with the will!”

"But doesn’t it seem suspicious how everything unraveled so easily?”

"Eeh!? You are quite skeptical, Lady Mia.”

Was everything unraveled so easily?

Wait…!

Wait a minute. What If Archbishop Henry deliberately signaled to me during our dinner that he had altered the will?

What could he be thinking? I was suddenly overwhelmed by the chilling feeling that I could be completely wrong.

"Archbishop Henry’s motive, huh? I found your speculation convincing, but… Lately, what’s been bothering me is the increased surveillance in this mansion, Miss Philia.”

"You noticed too, Your Highness?”

"I’m a warrior at heart after all. I noticed the increase in presence at least. Miss Philia, Archbishop Henry might know our objective.”

I also noticed the heightened surveillance. Nevertheless, I believed our objective hadn’t been discovered. Because if the plan of conversing with the Pope’s soul using a Divine Spell was found out, I thought he would immediately interfere.

"Our objective likely hasn’t been—”

No, if Archbishop Henry intentionally signaled to me that he had altered the will, and if everything, including my practice of the Divine Spell, was unfolding according to Archbishop Henry’s scenario, then there was a possibility that I had been seriously mistaken.

"Could Archbishop Henry’s goal really be…”

"Sis, what’s wrong? You look pale.”

Imagining Archbishop Henry’s true goal made me shudder. If he wanted to do that, this country, no, the entire continent could be in danger…

If my speculation was true, Archbishop Henry might have already abandoned all restraint.

"Anyway, whatever happens, leave it to me. Whether it’s Archbishop Henry or any other obstacle, I’ll make sure to protect you, Sis.”

Mia boldly declared that she would protect me. It was reassuring. With this girl as an ally, I could overcome any obstacles.

"Mia, there’s something I want you to do rather than protect me.”

"Something you want me to do rather than protect you?”

Mia looked at me with a puzzled face.

Assuming Archbishop Henry had read all our cards, there was another task I wanted to entrust to Mia.

“Yes, that is―”

I told Mia the details of the job I wanted her to do during the ritual of papal succession.

At this point, there was no turning back. I had begun to take actions to ensure that everything was perfect for the upcoming day.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment