Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 40

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Forty: A Squid Extravaganza—Devouring with Passion

…It doesn’t seem like I have been asleep for too long, as sunlight is still streaming through the windows when I wake up. Ahh… a beautiful woman’s lap pillow is amazing. The ultimate sleep aid. So soft and nice smelling… pure bliss!

But since the guys would likely return soon, I figured I should at least get the squids prepped.

“…Like this…! If you stab them between the eyes, it kills them perfectly!”

“…I see, I see…!”

“Then you stick your finger into the body and detach the liver with a pull. Be careful not to rupture it as you extract it…”

By the way, the water cube Mr. Ed had given me simply popped like a bursting bubble when I removed the squids, splashing water all around the sink before vanishing.

I never expected it to work like that!!! You should have warned me, Mr. Ed…!!!

After cleaning up, I’m finally able to process the squids.

With no scales or real bones, squid is so easy to prep. Once you get used to it, you can even take them apart without a knife. Using my fingers, I peel apart the section where the body and liver are attached. Then, firmly grasp the fins and tentacles and slowly pull the liver and internal organs out. The fins can also be peeled off by hand, and you can even peel the skin from that section, so it’s an area you want to actively peel. After removing the cartilage from the body, pulling away the intestines, and taking out the eyes and beak, you can enjoy all the way down to the base of the tentacles—squid is truly a great ingredient.

Should I salt and clean away the unpleasant ring-shaped suckers for a smoother texture?

“…You seem experienced with this.”

“It’s an ingredient I enjoy, so I cook it frequently.”

Stir-fries, tempura, simmered dishes—I made them all the time. I also stuck to squid rice for a while, where I experimented with different flavors and rice amounts…

With a face full of curiosity, Ms. Aria peer into what I’m doing, so I suggest she take a seat on the foldable chair I hadn’t put away yet.

I’ve processed all four of them, but it’s a bit early to start cooking now… the flavor won’t be quite right. I think squid dishes are best served piping hot. I feel the potent aroma and flavor intensify as it cools…

So for now I’ll just prepare the salted portion! The rest I’ll cook at mealtime!

In that case, something like frying would be too much effort… Let’s go for something simple and quick!

…It’s just my guess, but the guys might come back with something they’ve caught… If so, I’ll need to process that too, so simple squid dishes it is!

I’m thinking a spicy stir-fry and sautéed in garlic butter. The sautéed in garlic butter squid on baked sweet potatoes would be hearty…”

“Potatoes…”

“Yes, sweet potatoes. They’re quick and filling, plus the vitamins don’t break down as much when heated—a versatile staple!”

The moment I mentioned "potatoes", Ms. Aria’s expression clouded slightly. Ah… could it be she has an aversion to our starchy friend the potato? Though they’re also carbohydrates, I’ve heard some people get tired of them despite their accessibility.

I’ll have to mix it up and come up with something she’ll definitely find "delicious.”

…But for now, there’s no debate—I’m doing sautéed in garlic butter squid on potatoes!

With the umami of the squid, richness of butter, and aroma of soy sauce, I think even she’ll find the potatoes tasty… Or at least, I hope so… In fact, I personally believe that the squid butter slowly seeps into the hearty foundation of the potatoes, allowing you to enjoy both the fluffy and moist parts, so potatoes might actually complement the buttery squid better than rice.

Alright…

I’ll use 1.5 squid for the spicy stir-fry, another 1.5 for the sautéed in the garlic butter, and salt the remaining squid.

For the stir-fry, I’ll peel and chunk the squid. For the squid garlic butter portion, I’ll leave the skin on and also cut it into chunks before storing them in the fridge. And of course, all the liver will go for the garlic butter portion!

For the salted squid portion, I’ll first generously sprinkle salt on the liver, wrap it in kitchen paper, and leave it in the fridge to remove moisture. Similarly, I’ll lightly salt the peeled body and place it in the fridge without wrapping. By removing moisture in this way, I can create a rich salted squid! Adding some strips of yuzu peel for extra flavor is also delicious if you like!

…Which I don’t have, so can’t do that…

You’re quite resourceful, Rin.”

“Well, I do love eating. Basically, I’m always thinking about the next meal while eating one!”

When I’m eating breakfast, I’m already thinking about lunch, and when I’m eating lunch, I’m already thinking about dinner!

…Oh! If Mr. Ed brings back more squid, I should do an overnight dry squid snack… Lightly dehydrating it until it’s chewy with concentrated flavor is so good…

As I diced the last remaining tomato for the spicy stir-fry, I recalled that distinct bouncy texture. It’s not that it’s tough to chew, but rather, it’s the sensation of the fibers bouncing back against my teeth while still crisply breaking apart along them, releasing a sweet and flavorful essence with every chew…

That’s why we used dried squid in our hometown’s traditional dish when simmering konjac. It adds such a rich flavor! When you take a bite of those little konjac dumplings soaked in soy sauce and dried squid broth, and then dip it in the vibrant yellow mustard that gives a sharp kick… Oh my…!

That would pair amazingly with drinks, but I wonder if this world even has a konjac plant…?

"Aria! Rin! We need your help!”

"…Help?”

"What’s going on? Did something happen!?”

As I started washing the used cutting board… Mr. Ville’s strained voice came from outside.

…For him to sound that flustered, what could have happened…?

Since he called for me too, it’s probably not dangerous…?

Exchanging glances with Ms. Aria, I exit the Camping Car to an unexpected sight…

The translator’s corner

Replace the squids with a person, and you’ve got a horror movie episode ready to go :D. Poor squids.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment