Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 14

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Fourteen: I’m Going On a Diet! Starting Tomorrow!

We returned to the highway from the mixed forest about ten minutes ago… Despite it being well-maintained, walking on this unpaved path has become quite tough, or should I say… The tension that had built up until now snapped with the crying fit earlier, and the fatigue I wasn’t aware of hit me all at once… Honestly, I wanted to take a short break, but realistically, resting in the middle of the road isn’t very good. So, somehow or another, I’ve been moving forward.

…Oh. The road ahead looks a bit more open… Can we take a short break, perhaps?

Sure enough, as we advance a little further, the road widens into a clearing, about the size of a small plaza. Is it used as a refuge place? Seeing remnants of campfires on the ground, I guess people take breaks and camp here too.

Besides Mr. Ville and me, there’s no one else around. However, since there’s Campy that others can’t see, I don’t know where or how it might lead to an accident. As a precaution, I deploy it at the back of the clearing… For example, I don’t want a sudden runaway horse or something to charge in and wreck Campy! Since there’s no way to fix it if it gets damaged, I think it’s essential to take precautionary actions based on the “what-ifs.” Well, maybe I’m overthinking it!

“Oh, that’s it! I’ll grant access rights for you too, Mr. Ville!”

“Access… rights?”

“Uh… You see, the truth is, this thing… can you believe it moves when you get inside…?”

“…Huh!?”

Wow! Mr. Ville has a really dumbfounded look! Such a refreshingly new expression!

Well, I can understand that feeling. Being told that something you thought was just a big “ordinary box” is actually moving… it’s not easy to believe all of a sudden, right?

And on top of that, even though I made Campy’s appearance visible and showed it carrying luggage, I haven’t gone in or out of the car, so I guess that makes it even more unbelievable…?

This… moves…? No, I don’t see why you’d lie, but… it moves…?”

“It’s hard to believe immediately, right…? To be honest, if you ask me to explain the logic, I’d be at a loss for words…”

“Does it move by some magical means?”

“Sorry! I don’t know that much…”

It seems like instead of gasoline, it’s powered by something called magic particles, but whether it purely replaces gasoline and drives the engine or generates a magical propulsion force is a bit unclear… It makes engine-like sounds and has vibrations, but there’s a slight possibility that it’s just made to look like there’s an engine, maybe?

Anyway, as long as it “moves”, whether by engine or magic, it doesn’t matter to me!

In front of the seemingly dazed Mr. Ville, I wish to Campy, "Let Mr. Ville ride too." I’m not sure if anything particularly changed, but it should be okay, right?

And I just noticed, Campy’s door handle… it seems like I don’t need to pull it. If I just think, "Open," it seems to open! Like an advanced smart key system?

“Well, instead of standing around talking… why don’t we go inside?”

“Y-Yes, we’ll… go… inside?”

“Don’t worry! There’s nothing dangerous, really!”

Having entered first and peering out from the open door, I see Mr. Ville with an indescribable expression on his face. It’s a mix of hesitation, skepticism, unease, awe… and an unmistakable curiosity that can’t be concealed. Nevertheless, I think it’s quite impressive that he gathers his resolve and with a determined expression enters the vehicle.

With evident caution, he steps in while glancing around. It’s like… watching a protagonist of an action movie cautiously entering a room where enemies might be hiding. Yep, it might sound a bit impolite, but the phrase "on edge" fits his actions very well.

Still, I think Mr. Ville’s curiosity is amazing as he gazes around, transfixed by the décor and furniture. Somehow, there’s this image that adventurers, while being curious and brave, also have a cautious and cowardly side. If they weren’t curious and brave, they wouldn’t embark on adventures, and if they weren’t cautious and somewhat cowardly, they might lose their lives quickly… or so I think.

“Let’s see… put away the meat… take out the butter and flour… grate the sugar and spices…”

As Mr. Ville seems still caught in a whirlwind of confusion, I toss the bird meat into the chilled compartment while grabbing butter and flour from the fridge. I also retrieve sugar and spices from the shelf. Today, I’m planning to make two types of cookies: berry cookies and ginger spice cookies. In the world of confectionery, where strict measurements are required, cookies are awesome in that they turn out delicious even if you’re pretty lax with amounts! Well, there is a digital scale tucked away in the kitchen’s corner, which I’ll make use of gratefully. But even without a scale, I think a ratio of roughly [flour : sugar : butter = 2 : 1 : 1] makes tasty cookies.

This time, I’ll add eggs to the mix and make drop cookies!

…Come to think, the barley tea that never runs out no matter how much I drink is mysterious… I was wondering about that, and when I glanced just now, the rice from this morning that I used about half of is replenished in the container again… What’s going on…?

I just want to scream at the top of my lungs right now, "Campy’s kitchen is, is!”

I’m so confused I can’t even voice it… Oh well. For now, I’ll make snacks!

I wash about two handfuls of halberries under running water and set them aside in a colander to drain… Then I measure out 100g of sugar… Take out 200g of flour, divide it in half, and into one of the portions I mix powdered ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon…

Next, carefully shave off 100g from the 200g canned butter using a spoon and place it in a stainless steel bowl… but… wait… as I’m shaving it just regenerates endlessly…!?

Could this also be thanks to those “magic particles”!?

Let’s try not to think about it…

By the way, around this point, you’d start preheating the oven to 180°C, and briefly putting the bowl with butter in helps it soften up quickly. You have to be careful not to burn yourself or melt it completely, but it’s a pretty handy trick…

When the butter starts softening, I quickly take it out and whip it while mixing in the sugar until it lightens to a white, creamy texture. Whipping it well here is a key to that crispy texture… at least, that’s what I think.

Mr. Ville, who had been observing the inside of the vehicle, is now silently watching me work. Perhaps because I whipped it too vigorously, some splashed onto Ville’s finger, which his red tongue licked up.

“…Sweet…”

“Of course, it’s butter and sugar. You don’t like sweet things?”

“No, I like them.”

When I glance at him, his strawberry-colored eyes are unexpectedly shiny.

Both butter and sugar are concentrated forms of energy. While I won’t go as far as saying it’ll fill the stomach, it will provide calories and raise blood sugar levels.

Cracking the slightly grayish shells over a well-mixed bowl, I added the eggs with vivid orange yolks. The description mentioned “hard shells,” but they were as firm as eggs from higher-end free-range chickens! Lightly mixing with the whisk, the white buttercream instantly takes on a yellowish custard-like tinge. To ensure it doesn’t separate, I mixed it thoroughly, then switched from the whisk to a rubber spatula, transferring half of it to another bowl.

Mr. Ville, can you wipe the halberries there?”

“We’re adding these?”

“Yes. I’m planning to bake one half with halberries, making them a bit thick.”

“What about the other half?”

I’ll bake these with spices. They’ll be sweet… but with a hint of spiciness and a delightful aroma, quite delicious.”

Mr. Ville looks quite free, so why not have him help a bit? "Those standing can be put to use!" is the Takanashi family motto, you know!

How about handing him a paper towel and the colander with halberries, and having him help with the drying of the berries? In the meantime, I’ll shake some plain flour into the bowl, and using a rubber spatula, I’ll cut and mix it until the floury texture decreases, preparing the dough. When Mr. Ville passes the “done” halberries, I add them in, carefully mixing without kneading or crushing.

…Yup. Since the berries are soft, they tend to get crushed when mixed… But, on the flip side, it gives the dough a marble-like appearance and makes it tenderer, perfect for drop cookies.

As I lay a cooking sheet on the baking tray and start dropping spoonfuls of dough onto it, it seems the preheating is just about done. While sliding the tray into the beeping oven, I pull the other bowl closer.

As it backes with a low quiet sound, Mr. Ville watches the orange-filled interior of the oven intently, eyes sparkling. The bubbling juice, simmering as if being roasted, trickles down smoothly as the dough expands… Yup. It’s enjoyable to watch the process of sweets being baked!

I liked watching my mom’s cookies and cakes bake when I was little too.

In the tranquil space filled with the mellow sweet aroma of butter and sugar baking, and the refreshing sweet-sour scent of the cooking berries, I softly combine the spice-filled flour into the other bowl.

The translator’s corner

Baked sweets… I love to make them, though I don’t do anything elaborate. Especially I love sponge cakes with banana filling and cupcakes.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chapter! Now I'm craving cookies lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll make some cookies myself tomorrow because of this ch lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most relatable chapter title ever :3

    ReplyDelete