Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 86

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Eighty-six: The Concept of an Empty Stomach

The courtyard has been empty, with no sign of any other adventurers. Seizing the opportunity, I summon the Camping Car in a corner and quickly usher everyone inside. It’s a bit troublesome if people see us going in and out, you know. Inside the vehicle, the savory aroma of the roasted “pork” and the sweet scent of freshly cooked rice filled the air. It seems the rice cooker’s timer function I used for the first time worked perfectly.

“Alright, while the roasted pork in the small pot is heating up, I’ll fluff up the rice…”

Despite the unexpected turn of events during the boss battle and the subsequent report to the guild, which led to the rice being kept warm for an extended period without fluffing—a potentially disastrous situation—when I opened the rice cooker lid, I found perfectly glossy and fluffy rice that showed no signs of neglect.

The texture when I insert the rice paddle is only "slightly firmer than freshly cooked rice." I already knew this, but I couldn’t help thinking again: isn’t this rice cooker incredibly high-performance!?

Rin, need any help?”

“Thank you! Could you please get some tea from the fridge?”

While Mr. Ville, who was unable to wait any longer, took care of the tea, I roughly chopped the remaining cabbage-like hajirokanran from the fridge. With that, I’ll make miso soup… and that will conclude today’s "real" cooking.

…Well, I understand the urge to say, "Isn’t this cutting corners?" I get it, okay? But look, the main dish—the roasted pork fillet—is already done, and the rice is cooked… What else am I supposed to do!? I could make side dishes if I wanted to, but everyone seems to have succumbed to the aroma of the pork. They’re eagerly waiting for the rice, and I’m starving too!

It’s all because of that irresistible smell wafting from the meat!

“Ah! I can’t take it anymore! It’s impossible to wait! It should be warm enough by now. Let’s finish this!”

Half-desperately, I turn off the heat on the small pot where the pork is reheating and place the amber-colored chunk of meat on the cutting board. The sweet and savory aroma of sugar and soy sauce mixture intensifies, permeating the air around us. Instantly, the growling of stomachs grows louder. Somehow suppressing my own hunger, I check the temperature of the meat with my fingertips.

…Yup.

It feels adequately warmed, and even if it’s a bit cool, it’ll warm up from the heat of the steaming rice when served, right? Yup!

Cutting the string that was holding it together in one swift motion, the entire piece of meat wobbled and shook. Oh! It seems to have simmered to just the right tenderness! The fatty parts crumble easily with just a light touch. I gently slice the meat into 5mm to 1cm thick pieces.

“Oh… you seem to be struggling, Rin,”

“The Camping Car’s knife is incredibly sharp, but this is still the thinnest I can manage… I feel like it should be a bit thinner, but…”

“Is that so? With this level of tenderness, I think it’ll be easy to bite through even at this thickness. Besides, thicker slices offer a more satisfying mouthfeel, don’t you think?”

I sighed and drooped my shoulders at Mr. Xenon’s words as he peeked at the cutting board from the side… I wanted to slice it thinner, but the meat is so tender that with my skill level, going any thinner risks it falling apart. However, seeing Mr. Xenon fixated on the meat as fat oozes from each cut, and considering everyone’s usual appetite, thicker slices might actually be more satisfying.

Alright then, let’s go with these thick slices on the rice! Still, there might be situations in the future where knife skills are crucial, so I should practice slicing soft meat thinly. Meanwhile, meat juices continue to pool on the cutting board like a small sea. Ah, I need to get this meat on top of the rice quickly…! When this mixture of broth and fat soaks into the fluffy rice… won’t it be impossible to stop eating?

“Everyone, is a large portion of rice okay?”

“Mm! Love large portions!”

“Got it. I’ll serve large portions with enough room for the meat on top!”

Ms. Aria was the only one who responded out loud, but the men, starting with Mr. Xenon next to me, all had gleaming eyes at the mention of large portions. Alright, good. I can’t pile it up like in old Japanese tales, but I’ll serve as much rice as possible. After all, for our Gourmands, there’s no such thing as too much rice.

Though we might not have enough meat for seconds…

I notice Ms. Aria, who has somehow moved next to me, watching intently as I scoop rice into bowls and place meat on top. She cannot hide her excitement, her lips curling into a smile visible even from the side. I return a nod of gratitude to Ms. Aria, who gives me a thumbs-up, without pausing my hands.

“Let’s see… rice scooped… meat placed… pour some braising liquid… Alright, this should do it!”

I’ll carry it! Let me carry it, Rin!”

“Thank you, Ms. Aria. Please, go ahead!”

I entrusted the finished bowls to Ms. Aria, who extended her hands with a beaming smile and proceeded to ladle out the miso soup. The sweet yet salty aroma of miso stimulated my stomach, causing it to clench tightly. It’s actually painful at this point. While it may not just be me… everyone’s hunger must be reaching its limit by now. Let’s eat quickly…! Let’s savor the meat and rice to fill our empty stomachs…!

‘What about mine!? My food!’

“Ah, I forgot! I’ll get yours now—”

The biggest shock of the day… Gomamiso’s desperate headbutt hit me right in the sensitive spot. Teary-eyed from the attack on my indefensible area, I reach for the fridge door to retrieve the cave bass.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment