Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 50

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Fifty: Praising Shrimp. Praising Deliciousness

I pluck off the still slightly warm shrimp head, holding one side of the horn-like part with one hand. With the other hand, I grasp the thin walking legs and peel them off with a snap, and savor the shrimp essence by sucking it straight from the shell.

A bit unrefined, but I can’t let that delicious essence escape!

The fragrant aroma of the charred shell and perfect saltiness. The shrimp essence have become concentrated and intense as the moisture evaporates, imparting a sweet, salty burst that lingers with a slightly bitter aftertaste. The aroma wafting up is like a concentrated essence of the sea, a thick briny scent. Whether you consider it a "fragrance" or "odor" is subjective, but I definitely lean toward "fragrance." I crunch on the crisply roasted legs to reset my tongue, numbed by the rich umami. The juices from the shell and the slight fleshiness that remains inside start to seep out—quite tasty in its own way. It has this shrimp snack-like taste, almost like shrimp crackers.

“Uhaaah… the shrimp essence is so delicious…! So fragrant…!”

After sufficiently savoring the essence, it’s time for the meat!

Peeling off the crispy shell reveals a pleasantly plump flesh, though slightly shrunk from being cooked. Overcooking often leads to a rough and crumbly surface, but this large shrimp seems to have been cooked perfectly. The reddish-white striped meat glistens moistly, whetting the appetite with its appearance alone. As I’m at it, I might as well cleanly peel off the shell from the tail and just pop the whole thing in my mouth!

My teeth meet the slightly warm surface, resisted by the taut, bulging meat inside. Pressing harder, the thin skin suddenly bursts open like a balloon, flooding my mouth with savory juices. The firm, springy texture that bounces back no matter how much I chew is extremely satisfying.

“Shrimp, so delicious…! So good…!”

You look blissful, Rin.”

“Eating is when I’m happiest.”

I get it. It’s like… the sensation of food pushing its way down your esophagus and into your stomach is just irresistible.”

“Exactly!”

As much as I want to keep chewing, I eventually have to swallow… The lingering sweetness and richness coating my tongue as the shrimp slides down my throat.

Mr. Ville nods deeply in agreement with my blissed-out words, and I fully understand the sensation he described.

You’re my soul mate!

"Mmm! Big lobster is delicious too! Next time we get some, I should fry it! Tempura!”

"What is ‘tempura’, Rin?”

"Oh, it’s food coated in a thin wheat batter and deep fried. It has a lighter coating compared to fritters, and it’s crispy…”

Lobster has a finer, more delicate texture compared to the big shrimp. If the shrimp is plump and bouncy, the lobster is more of a firm softness, I suppose. Tender but not mushy, with an underlying firmness… The sweetness is mild and refined, with a smooth, moist mouthfeel. That’s why I think it would be delicious as tempura, where the natural flavor of the ingredient is sealed in, and you can enjoy it with just a light sprinkle of salt.

Intrigued by the unfamiliar words, Mr. Xenon leaned forward. But what’s with this subtly striking sensation in my heart…? N-No security clearance violations here! I have no intent to rebel against the Computer! Stop! Don’t ZAP me!

…Putting that inner skit aside, will I get another chance to obtain lobster…? If not, maybe I’ll make tempura with summer vegetables instead. Tempura is just delicious.

By the way, the essence from this one is even richer and intense. It melts and clings tenaciously to the tongue. Coating the meat with the essence is predictably delicious too.

As I continue to eat, the refreshing meat juices help balance out the potentially cloying essence, while the rich essence complements the slightly lighter lobster meat…

Isn’t the world just full of delicious things?

Of course, dipping it in a bouillabaisse-style soup is also delicious, for the record. Shrimp and tomatoes are just meant to be friends.

With the larger meat absorbing more soup, or rather the soup clinging to it… the tart sweetness of the tomatoes pairs beautifully with the lobster’s savory sweetness.

"But seriously, this goes so well with alcohol.”

Mr. Ville drains his glass in one gulp with satisfaction.

"An excellent appetizer too! Though I don’t drink, so I wouldn’t know…”

…Alcohol, huh. It’s not that I can’t drink, but I just don’t really get the appeal, you know? "Beer is perfect with fried food!" or "Highball is the best!", I can’t help but think, "Isn’t cola or barley tea fine?" I guess I just have a childish palate.

…Speaking of which, fruit water was delicious, but I feel like I want something fizzy and sweet, like cola or lemonade…

While enjoying the comforting baked potatoes and the meltingly soft onions, I found myself thinking about drinks that I wouldn’t be able to have…

The Translator’s corner

As someone who doesn’t even drink beer, and wine only occasionally on celebrations, I totally agree with the heroine!

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. I detest beer and wine, I have a high tolerance but everything except for my girlypop fruity stuff is just nasty to me lol

    ReplyDelete