Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 46

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Forty-six: The Prep Is Fun, But Using Fire Is the Most Enjoyable Part!

Meanwhile, the broth simmers nicely while I am frying the small shrimp.

I kept ladling the broth through a colander set over a larger pot, squeezing out every last drop from the fish bones and veggies left in the colander with a skimmer.

By the time the pot with the fish heads was empty, the bottom pot had a generous amount of rich, slightly thickened reddish broth with glistening golden fat rings floating on the surface. I sampled a spoonful—not a hint of fishiness. A delicious broth with the sweet-tart condensed tomato flavor underscored by the savory richness of the sea bass and a subtle bright note from the bay leaf!

With this broth as a base, time to turn it into a bouillabaisse-style soup!

“…What ingredients are you using…?”

“Let’s see… I was thinking some ‘ignoring squid’, large prawn, crab, scallop-like shellfish, and maybe the remaining sea bass fillets!”

“…Just hearing about it sounds delicious…!”

I’ll do my best not to let you down! Alright, one final push!”

Even though I didn’t add much salt, the umami from the vegetables and fish is so concentrated that the soup is rich enough without feeling lacking. However, once I add the ingredients, it might dilute, so I add just a pinch more salt. As a finishing touch, I add just a tiny bit of soy sauce as a hidden flavor, adjust the taste, and then apply heat again. In the meantime, I prepare the ingredients…

For the squids, I’ll do the same prep as before then cut the bodies into chunks. The liver and tentacles I’ll repurpose for another recipe!

For the scallop-like shellfish, I’ll use a table knife to insert it into the gap of the shell and gently move it to detach the adductor muscle, then pry off the top shell. Once I remove the dark parts, I’ll generously add the whole thing into the soup!

For the crabs, I’ll remove the gills and then do a lengthwise split.

And I’ll chunk up the remaining sea bass fillets too.

Once I finish cutting and quartering everything, I’ll toss them into the boiling soup and let them cook for a bit.

“Phew! Soup prep is done!”

“Nice work, Rin!”

“Ah! Thank you! I was just getting thirsty too!”

…Whew, processing all of those ingredients definitely took some time. I’m so glad I opted to stay behind and do the prep in the Camping Car…!

As I sighed in front of the pot, realizing that all that was left to do was reheat everything when the guys returned, Ms. Aria handed me a cup of barley tea. Looking at the cup, I noticed that there was no condensation on the surface, so it must be freshly brewed.

After I gratefully finish the icy cold tea in one gulp, my heated body gradually cools down from the inside.

Did I get a bit too carried away? My body seems quite heated. I shake off the slight dizziness and focus my gaze on the remaining ingredients.

The remaining large prawn and lobster can stay whole since I can grill them directly, right? When the guys get back, I’ll sauté the squid and reheat the soup.

"Then… let’s prepare squid logs grills and potatoes!”

“Squid… logs?”

"You stuff the squid body with the liver and tentacles, then bake it whole in the oven.”

For some reason, the Takanashi family calls this "log grills." I guess because the plump, rounded body resembles a log or something…? Anyway, I’ll repurpose the leftover squid tentacles and liver from the bouillabaisse-style soup this way!

Mix squid liver and tentacles with grated ginger, cooking alcohol, and miso paste. Stuff this mixture into the squid’s body. As a secret ingredient, add a knob of butter for extra flavor!

After securing the cavity openings with toothpicks and wrapping it tightly in aluminum foil… it’s oven-ready! With the preparation done, you can simply leave it and have an easy, delicious dish that pairs well with both rice and liquor!

Squids really are so incredibly versatile.

It’s even better with some green onion mixed in, but… do they have regular long green onions in this world? Leeks or spring onions… what do they call those in Western cuisine? Those seem possible as substitutes. Although actually, I’ve never had Western-style green onions, so not sure if they’d work as substitutes…

By the way, the potatoes are for garlic butter. I’ll steam them in the microwave and then pour the sautéed garlic butter over them. That’s the plan!

The log grills will be miso-flavored, but I’ll do a soy sauce flavor for these, a nice contrast.

Rin. They’re coming back soon!”

“Eh!? You can tell, Ms. Aria…? Oh, true love…”

“Th-That’s not it! I had my net cast, so that’s how I knew!”

Ms. Aria gave a little smile as she glanced out the window.

….Ahh I see. Of course, she’d know when her beloved Mr. Ed is returning. But apparently, she detected a reaction in the perimeter net she had deployed.

Even considering that, how adorable is Ms. Aria blushing…!

But if they’re heading back, I should finish up the appetizers!

I start heating the remaining oil to double-fry and crisp up the small shrimp. It has an amazing roasted aroma from the shrimp and garlic flavors it absorbed.

Should I use this for a stir-fry later…? Shrimp-infused oil would be so tasty, right…?

Once the oil is hot enough, I plunge the shrimp back in for their second fry.

Jubububububa! The oil violently bubbles up in steaming froth.

Despite the small splatters of hot oil that threaten to burn my skin, as I stir with cooking chopsticks, I can feel the shells becoming firm and crispy.

I pluck out one of the smaller ones to test, thoroughly blowing on it before popping it in my mouth. The slight moisture that lingered inside the shells of the shrimp I had just eaten was now gone, leaving only a crispy, crunchy texture.

Yup! Perfect for a beer snack!

"Rin! Aria! We’re back! Time to eat!! And drink!!!”

"We’re hoooome, Aria! Rin, thanks for the food!”

"We have returned, you two. I trust all was well in our absence?”

"Mn. Welcome back.”

Just as I finished plating the fried shrimps, the guys returned through Campy’s propped-open entrance with lively voices, each carrying a heavy load.

…Huh? Am I imagining it, or do they have more stuff than when they left? Huh?

Why are you lugging a petite barrel, Mr. Ville?

What’s with the overflowing basket of bread and flower bouquet, Mr. Ed?

And Mr. Xenon, what did you stash in the cooler box that clearly isn’t closed properly?

"Well, whatever the case, welcome back! I have some fried nibbles ready for the toast!”

But putting that aside for now…

The important thing is they all made it back safe and sound!

Shall we start leisurely with a toast?!

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment