Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 84

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section One: “A New Pope”

Chapter Eighty-four

It had been about two weeks since I heard the story of Archbishop Henry from Bishop Bjorn.

A letter arrived for me. The sender’s name was…

"Miss Alice Isefel of the Kingdom of Dalbhat.”

"Thank you, Ms. Himari.”

I immediately read the letter after receiving it from Himari.

In short, the contents of the letter conveyed tragic news. Yes, it notified me that the Pope had passed away.

"It seems the whole continent will be in mourning.”

"His Holiness has died?”

Hearing my words after reading the letter, Himari grasped the whole situation.

"Yes. Ms. Himari, please inform everyone in the estate of this, and tell them we will be in mourning for one month starting today.”

"As you wish.”

The news would likely spread across the continent by tomorrow, and others would also pay their respects.

However, since I heard of it early, I thought we should at least precede the mourning in my immediate surroundings.

"Lady Philia, you have guests.”

"Please send them in, Ms. Lina.”

Right after I asked Himari to inform everyone to be in mourning, Lina said there were guests.

"Hi, Philia. As lovely as ever.”

"It’s been a while, Great Saint.”

"…!? Mr. Mammon, and Ms. Elsa too…”

There was Mammon, and next to him was Elsa. Seeing them again after about four months since the battle with Asmodeus surprised me, not a little. Alice’s letter didn’t mention that the two of them were planning to come either.

They greeted me the same as always. I didn’t know why they came, but I was delighted by this reunion.

"I’m so pleased you visited. If you had let me know, I would have prepared a proper welcome. Please, come inside. Ms. Lina, could you prepare some tea?”

"O-okay, Got it. Wow, Ms. Elsa and Mr. Mammon are here! What a surprise!”

I welcomed them inside and asked Lina to serve tea. For them to visit right when the Pope had died—was that a coincidence? Or was there some connection?

I have many questions, but let’s listen calmly.

"Your tea is as exquisite as ever, Ms. Lina. I wanna make you my wife.”

"Oh Mr. Mammon, you flatter me as always.”

"No no, I’m a devil who hates lies and jokes. I’m dead serious with this proposal.”

"Mammon, do you want to keep flirting and lose your head?”

"Yikes, Sister Elsa, I was joking, joking! You know I’m dedicated only to you.”

Since they stayed here protecting me from Asmodeus back then, they quickly made themselves at home again.

It had been a while since I had seen their lighthearted banter.

"So Ms. Elsa, what brings you here today?”

I decided to ask straight out why they had come. Given Elsa’s personality, it was unlikely to just be a social visit.

"We’ve come to congratulate the new Pope.”

"The new… Pope?”

Naturally, after the Pope’s passing, someone must take up that position. But was she saying that person was in Parnacota? Who could it be? I couldn’t think of anyone.

"Congratulations on your inauguration, Your Holiness Philia Adenauer.”

"Pardon?”

Did Elsa just address me as Pope? What could this mean? Surely I haven’t been appointed the next Pope? No, there’s no way that could be true. Is she joking?

“Um, did you just address me as Pope? I’m not mistaken, am I…?”

"Yeah, Sister definitely said that. If you read Alice’s letter, you know the Pope died. His will named Great Saint as his successor.”

Can such a thing happen?

I was the saint of this kingdom. To be a Pope, I would have to leave Parnacota and go to Dalbhat where the Clamu Church’s headquarters lay… Normally, one of the archbishops would become Pope, so why did His Late Holiness leave such a will?

"But Lady Philia is the saint of this country! She can’t be Pope, she has to stay here!”

Lina stood up, spreading her arms as if shielding me, and retorted.

I was happy she cared for me so much.

Most of all, I was proud to be this kingdom’s saint and had come to love Parnacota.

"I intend to do so. It has been less than a year since I became the saint of Parnacota, but I have come to love this country in my own way. No matter what, I could never leave.”

I agreed with Lina’s words, unable to accept this talk. I couldn’t imagine leaving this country. There must be someone more suitable for the position of Pope.

"Moreover, if I were to disappear, the saint would once again be absent from this country. I cannot overlook such a matter.”

And I’m this kingdom’s only saint. Parnacota was driven into dire straits after losing Elizabeth.

I insisted that we couldn’t afford to repeat the same mistake.

"Don’t worry. We’re sending Alice to replace you. She can serve as your substitute, don’t you think?”

"Has Ms. Alice agreed to this?”

"I can guarantee that the girl from the headquarters won’t oppose the decision.”

Elsa insisted that since Alice would come here even if I left Parnacota, there would be no issue.

"Regardless, it’s not possible! Lady Philia is engaged to His Highness Oswald, so leaving is not an option!”

Lina cried out desperately, bringing up my engagement to Prince Oswald.

That’s right. He would also refuse to leave the country.

"Oh right, you are getting married? Congrats. Be sure to invite me to the ceremony. And let your friends know I’m looking for a wife.”

"I heard about your engagement to that earnest prince from Alice. Belated congratulations.”

"Thank you both.”

It seemed they had heard about it from Alice.

"However, Great Saint, you know this too, right? The Pope’s appointment is absolute. No law of any country can overturn this divine revelation, equivalent to an order from God. You have no right to refuse.”

Lowering her tone, Elsa stared straight at me and asserted I had no right to decline to become the new Pope. I know the Pope’s authority surpasses even the royalty of each country, and to defy his orders would be tantamount to making enemies of the entire continent. While I acknowledged this, I would not stop thinking this order was unjust.

"Then what happens if I decline this offer?”

"Unfortunately, I won’t be able to call you ‘Great Saint’ anymore.”

"In other words, I would…”

"Yes. You’ll be stripped of your saint title. Banned from any further involvement with the church, you’ll just be Philia Adenauer again. And this country will once more have no saint.”

I would cease to be the saint. Elsa stated that bluntly, her eyes blazing, seeming to allow no room for any counterarguments.

To leave a saint for this country, I would have to depart. That was what she was saying.

"Philia, I know this must feel unreasonable and painful. But Dalbhat is a nice place. Just give up on this country quickly and think about enjoying your new environment.”

"I know you must be conflicted and need time to think it over. I’ll give you one week, no more. Give me your answer within the week. I guarantee your betrothed prince will be treated with favor if he comes to Dalbhat too. Let him know that as well.”

Elsa said she would give me one week to consider it.

It seemed they welcomed the idea of me going to Dalbhat with Prince Oswald.

This choice weighed heavily on my heart, especially considering I had just been thinking about spending my life here, married to Prince Oswald.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment