Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 91

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Ninety-one: Let’s Have… a Fair Fight!

In a pale, silent world, a school of young swordfish, having escaped Gomamiso’s clutches, swims freely, changing shape at will. But wait… what’s that in the distance?

Straining my eyes beyond the shimmering silver scales, I catch a glimpse of something. Behind the school of small fish, a large shadow looms, floating leisurely.

“Wha! There it is! I saw something huge!”

“What is it, Rin?!”

“There’s something really big! I’m… I’m going in for a closer look!”

I wanted to confirm what it was, but I ran out of breath! I quickly surfaced to report to Mr. Ville, then dove back in. Mr. Ville looked worried, but instead of saying "It’ll be okay," I just gave him a thumb up as I sank into the water. To borrow Gomamiso’s words, "I’m concentrating right now!”

“…!”

Shortly after diving, a slippery black shadow crossed in front of me. That’s it!

A large, thick-bodied fish with multiple stripes. Its mouth is lined with sharp teeth, probably for feeding on shellfish clinging to rocks. I wonder if it got stranded here during low tide while passing through?

[Bluestripe Rock Seabream (poisonous; extremely delicious)

A rocky shore fish that can grow up to 80cm. Thanks to growing in tidal currents, its meat has a springy texture and is delicious. Fish around 40-50cm are best for eating. Smaller ones lack fat and flavor. Larger ones are very fatty and flavorful but may have accumulated neurotoxins. This particular specimen doesn’t contain neurotoxins and is suitable for consumption.]

As I shift my gaze from the words "suitable for consumption" to what is in front of me, I lock eyes with the rock seabream’s black ones…

In the next instant, my arm has thrust the harpoon into the fish. I feel it pierce through the hard scales and thick flesh, and the fish’s violent struggle to escape vibrates through the harpoon. The rock wall right behind it left the fish no room to escape, and the harpoon’s tip is firmly lodged near its cheek. The fish’s strength as it twists its body, trying to escape to the depths, is intense. If I am not careful, it may drag me down to the bottom. Kicking hard with both legs and gripping a nearby rock with my free arm, I aim for the surface. But the dying fish’s desperate resistance is unexpectedly strong, making it difficult to ascend. Being in the deepest part doesn’t help either. The surface isn’t getting any closer.

I cannot breathe.

I cannot… breathe…

I… breathe…!

“Puhaaa!”

I burst through the shimmering surface, taking a deep breath. Oxygen spread to every cell in my body. In my hand, the harpoon with the fish is still impaled. Blue sky. Bright sun, and four eyes looking at me. Overwhelmed by unstoppable joy and happiness, my free hand clenched into a fist and thrust into the air.

I got it!”

You’ve caught quite a big one, Rin!”

I did it! I really did it! Dinner! We’ve got dinner!”

As I swim towards Mr. Ville with the harpoon raised, he extends his large hand. I gratefully grab it and climb onto land.

Oh my… solid ground… gravity hits full force… my body feels so heavy…

The evolution from aquatic to terrestrial life must have been tough…

Panting heavily, I prepare to process the fish I caught as a bucket is brought to me. Peeking through the small window, I see even more young swordfish than before, flapping vigorously.

Gomamiso caught some additional swordfish after you left.”

I’m amazing, aren’t I? Impressive, right?’

“Oh, that’s great…! By the way, is it okay for us to catch this fish and the young swordfish? I mean, in terms of marine resources…”

“Huh? Is there a problem with adventurers catching prey? Both rock seabream and swordfish breed prolifically, so catching them in tide pools should be fine.”

As usual, Mr. Ville ruffled the kitten’s head as it puffed out its chest proudly. Miso looked rather mighty, but well, it’s the boss after all. It should be fine!

I realized it after the catch, but it seems there’s no problem with fishing rights, so that’s a relief. Come to think of it, adventurers probably do some "fisherman-like" work too like gathering seaweed while on monster subjugation missions… or selling edible parts to the market after defeating monsters.

“Alright! That settles it. Let’s catch a few more swordfish and fry them up as a side dish!”

Me too! I’ll catch more too! I’ll go swoosh-swoosh!’

I won’t lose! It’s a competition!”

Seeing me switch from a harpoon to a net, Gomamiso sat on the edge of the rock again, waving its front paws. Childishly responding to the challenge, I readied my net and dove back into the sea.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment