Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World, Chapter 66

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Chapter Sixty-six: A Feast, No, a Meaty Feast!

The meat I have left in the Camping Car’s kitchen has reached the perfect temperature. No drippings yet, looking great. I’m about to start preparing the meal, but I realize I forgot to ask everyone an important question! We’ve got some great meat, but how should I cook it? Should I choose the quick but risky method or the longer but sure method?

…Hmm… let’s have the leader decide!

"Mr. Ville, for the meat, do you prefer cooking it quickly at high heat or slowly at low heat?”

"Does the cooking method really make a difference?”

"High-heat searing is faster so we can eat right away. But if you overdo it, the meat can dry out. Low-and-slow lets the heat penetrate slowly, taking more time but resulting in juicier, more flavorful meat.”

"For such top-quality meat, if taking a bit more time makes it even better, that’s preferable!”

Yup, as expected of my glutton comrade! I knew he’d choose the tastier method! That said, I’ll try to strike a balance compromising a bit for both flavor and speed.

First up will be boldly trimming off the tapered ends of that glistening slab where the fat has rendered nicely. If the thickness of the meat varies, it won’t cook evenly… Next, I’ll poke holes all over with a fork so the seasoning can really soak in. Doing this in my old apartment kitchen used to make it rattle, but the Camping Car’s kitchen doesn’t budge an inch. The building shakes but the vehicle doesn’t… how peculiar…?

Meanwhile, Mr. Ville, peeling onions next to me, joked, "It looks like you’re attacking the meat with a mini trident." Well, I feel like I could land a series of “critical hits” on this meat. Oh, are the onions almost done? Then I’ll have him wash the potatoes next…!

"…Okay, once I’ve evenly poked holes all over, I’ll rub in some salt and pepper and let it sit for a bit.”

"You’re not cooking it right away…”

"We need to let the seasoning soak in somewhat first… Well, let’s prepare the vegetables while the meat rests.”

"Rin, should I wash these potatoes?”

"Please do! Once washed, pass them to me so I can peel them.”

After generously salting and peppering the slab, I set it aside on a tray to absorb the seasoning. Meanwhile, I’ll get started on the potato and onion side dishes. Today’s meal is roast beef and steak… with steamed rice and frying pan bread as the main carbs! I’ll sear the roast beef in a pan and then finish it in the oven, while the steak will be cooked only in the pan, leaving the remaining burner for the bread.

While planning the steps, I peel the potatoes. I enjoy peeling vegetables or shelling shrimp because it lets me zone out and focus on the task at hand.

"What dish are these potatoes for?”

"They’ll be roasted together with the meat. I’ll probably have my hands full with the meat prep, so I don’t think I can handle elaborate sides… Sorry about that.”

"So in other words, today’s meal is meat-centric…! Sounds perfect to me, no complaints here!”

"Yes, meat! Today is a meat feast!”

Eyeing the seasoned slab and thick-cut steaks awaiting their turn, Mr. Ville clenched his fists excitedly.

Indeed, today’s meal is all about meat! I’ll add some veggies for a refreshing contrast, but it’ll likely just be sliced tomatoes and onions…

I peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and soak them in water, then slice the onions…

"…Alright then… time for the main event!”

"Ooh! Finally, time to cook it!”

"I’m looking forward to it. I prefer my meat on the rarer side.”

"Ah, Mr. Xenon. Welcome back! No monster troubles, I hope?”

"Xenonyou’ve returned…”

"My apologies for the intrusion, you youngsters. The area around the vehicle seemed free of any danger, so I came back promptly.”

As I preheated the oven and plopped the rested slab onto the cutting board, Mr. Ville’s face lit up instantly. Yup, a very carnivorous male reaction. At the same time, a cool voice nonchalantly mentioned his desired doneness. Turning around, I saw Mr. Xenon ascending the Camping Car steps, staff in hand. Not a scratch on him or his clothes, so it seemed the perimeter was secure.

I’m glad you returned safely!

While the men banter back and forth, I personally prefer croquettes. Leaving their play-fighting aside, let’s get this meat cooked! Whew, I’m excited!

Adding some trimmed fat to the hot pan to render out oil, I start by searing the ends first.

FSSHHHH! The fat merrily sizzles and pops as the meat touching the pan tightens up. A deliciously savory aroma wafts through the air.

Even the feuding men couldn’t resist the tempting sights and smell, quickly gathering around to peer into the pan.

"…58, 59, 60! Flip!”

"What are you counting, Rin?”

"At this stage, I don’t want to overcook the inside, so I’m just searing the surface color. Most recipes say 1 minute per side, so that’s what I’m doing.”

After a minute, I sear the opposite end as well. Not that I need to be that precise with the timing… Once both ends are seared, I lay the slab on its side to sear, rotating it every time that side browns to get an even color all over.

"Ah, Mr. Xenon. Could you grab that baking tray? I’ll transfer the meat over.”

"Ah yes, this one. I’m quite looking forward to this.”

Mr. Xenon retrieves the baking tray lined with parchment paper from the table, and I place the seared meat and potatoes on it before sliding it into the oven to slowly roast at a low 100 degrees. Low-and-slow does produce incredibly tender, melt-in-your-mouth meat…! While I’m at it, I may as well sauté those onions in the meaty pan drippings, then deglaze with a splash of soy sauce and lemon juice for a pan sauce!

Even with the meat cooking in the oven, there’s still plenty to do for this meat fest. Anyway, I need to get the time-consuming tasks done first…!

I start washing today’s rice, glancing at the two men hovering around the humming oven.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think she's learned her lesson. If the amount of meat she's cooking all fits in the oven, and there isn't others, that's not nearly enough for all of them

    ReplyDelete