Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100%

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 chapters of Traveler per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken When She Became Too Perfect is Sold Off to a Neighboring Kingdom, Chapter 94

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Part Three, Section Two: “To the Kingdom of Dalbhat

Chapter Ninety-four

Prince Oswald and I were dining as Archbishop Henry’s guests.

Since Elsa had already left, it was just the three of us at the table.

“Heh heh heh. The Grand Anti-Evil Magic Circle was a shock. Even the headquarters was struggling with the increasing demons from the Demon Realm’s proximity. I was having a hard time too, as I had just arrived here.”

Archbishop Henry and I essentially swapped places entering and leaving Parnacota. So, it means that he himself hadn’t been in this country for long either.

"And I heard about your exploits at the Saint Summit too. They say you slew Asmodeus, whom not even Elsa could beat. It’s a valorous battle befitting your title of Great Saint. Simply splendid.”

Like before, Archbishop Henry kept effusively praising me in this unnatural manner.

What could it be? Something about the way he flattered me seemed reminiscent of something, but I couldn’t recall what.

"Even if there were many saints gathered, with you as the Great Saint, your achievements would surely overshadow them all. It’s no exaggeration to say that you changed history, Philia.”

I was starting to wonder if this was meant to be praise or not.

I remember now. This feels like when Julius complimented everything I did one by one immediately after we got engaged.

"I’m delighted you’ll be the next Pope, Philia. You must feel wonderful too, right? After all, you’ll hold supreme authority on this continent.”

"Well, I’m not—”

"Heh heh heh, your fortune really turned around after you were sold from Girtonia to Parnacota. We must thank Parnacota’s royals for their bold decision to buy a saint from another country!”

"Archbishop Henry!”

Looking displeased—a rare expression for him—Prince Oswald yelled Archbishop Henry’s name.

While Archbishop Henry had been increasingly tactless, he did seem to harbor ill will towards me.

"Oh, Your Highness Oswald, why take offense? Aren’t you grateful Philia came to Parnacota?”

"I’m grateful beyond words! But there’s a proper way to speak!”

“Proper, you say? Didn’t you discuss buying a new saint in a meeting after Elizabeth died? You bought Philia, took responsibility, and even going to marry her. I’m moved by your patriotism. Heh heh heh.”

“That’s…”

Without losing his smile, Archbishop Henry rebutted Prince Oswald, unfazed by his angry tone.

The prince strongly opposed me being purchased from the start and had cared for me since I came to Parnacota.

"Your Highness, I am grateful to Parnacota. I believe I was simply fortunate to gain such high praise afterward. There’s no need to argue against the truth.”

"…If you say so, I’ll stay silent. Archbishop Henry, my apologies for raising my voice.”

I understood why Prince Oswald was angry. However, there was no purpose in quarreling here.

Folding his arms, Prince Oswald apologized to Archbishop Henry and fell silent.

"Oh dear, I seem to have soured your mood, Your Highness Oswald. Philia, you wanted to talk to me, but please feel free to take your leave if you’re uncomfortable.”

"No, I have no intention to leave. Archbishop Henry, I have a question for you… Why did you rewrite His Holiness’ will and appointed me instead of yourself?”

“…!?”

When I posed that question, Archbishop Henry’s smile vanished. Could this be his true emotion? The instant his smile disappeared, his gaze grew even sharper, and I felt that chilling sensation again.

"Since you’re from Girtonia, Philia, might that be a Girtonian’s joke? Heh heh heh, forgive me, it took me a moment to laugh.”

"I’m not joking.”

The change in his expression was fleeting. Archbishop Henry quickly resumed smiling, as usual, trying to brush off my question.

"The late Pope highly valued you, Philia. He said you’re worthy of being called the greatest saint in history, worthy of the title of Great Saint! Heh heh heh, I never imagined I’d be suspected of changing my name to yours in the will.”

"I’m distressed that my words are taken as suspicion. I spoke based on my reasonable grounds.”

Certainly, I did wish to live as Parnacota’s saint. However, I did make an effort to think of a justification to fulfill that desire. I did have some basis and questioned him with a certain level of confidence that Archbishop Henry had tampered with the will.

"Reasonable grounds? Heh heh heh, if I were selected by His Holiness, I would humbly accept it. It would be a great honor.”

“No, you definitely were selected as the next Pope, but attempted to rewrite the will to make me Pope instead.”

"Let me say it again, please stop making baseless accusations. If you, the Great Saint, were to become Pope, it would fill the entire continent with hope. Do you intend to betray the hopes of the believers?”

We were at a deadlock with Archbishop Henry’s position. This level of confrontation didn’t seem to have any impact on him. It seemed that stronger words would be necessary to really get under his skin.

"No matter what you say, the ceremony for the papal inauguration will take place in a week. You will drink God’s Blood from the Holy Grail and become the new Pope. Heh heh heh.”

“Regardless of what you say, Archbishop Henry, I have no intention of becoming Pope. I will continue to protest this injustice.”

You’re a saint, aren’t you? It would be best not to make selfish demands. Otherwise, it might cause trouble for your beloved kingdom of Parnacota and your even more beloved Prince Oswald. Heh heh heh heh.”

Are you resorting to threats now?

Parnacota and Prince Oswald. As he said, they were both invaluable to me.

And it was also true that I couldn’t put my desires above sacrificing them.

"If the will was genuine, perhaps I could have done nothing as you say. However, Archbishop Henry, you are lying!”

"What!? Heh heh heh, quite stubborn, Philia. If you’re going to make such claims, I presume you have some evidence. Evidence that I altered the will!”

"No, not yet…”

"Heh heh heh! Ha ha ha ha ha! You boldly accused me with no proof? How amusing. It seems you rather enjoy jokes!”

With wide eyes, he laughed loudly, triumphantly. Then, with a truly contemptuous expression, he peered at me as if mocking me from the bottom of his heart.

"Let’s end this pointless talk. Go home, Philia. I’ve nothing more to discuss with you.”

"Please wait. I lack evidence, but I have some idea about your motive.”

"Motive…? Ha! What nonsense you spew.”

Sensing that Archbishop Henry was trying to end the conversation, I decided to play my final card. That card was the motive. In other words, why he was trying to alter the will and make me Pope.

"Doesn’t it likely relate deeply to the death of your sister, Elizabeth Martilas?”

“…!?”

The moment I uttered that name, the table trembled faintly. Archbishop Henry’s magic power spiked sharply, and a simmering expression of anger became apparent on his face.

"Elizabeth is unrelated…!”

In a quiet yet distinctly enraged tone, Archbishop Henry openly displayed his displeasure.

I was surprised he reacted so strongly. I had no desire to exploit Elizabeth like this if possible.

"Miss Philia, stop this. Further pressing is meaningless.”

Seeing Archbishop Henry’s drastically changed attitude, Prince Oswald warned me to back down.

I apologize for my impertinent attitude. My statement was thoughtless.”

I bowed my head and apologized to Archbishop Henry. I also felt it was inappropriate to bring up Elizabeth’s name in this context.

The prince likely thought the same, which was why he reprimanded me.

"Heh heh heh, don’t worry about it. It’s fine, Your Holiness New Pope.”

And so, we left Archbishop Henry’s estate without obtaining any solid evidence.

However, I became certain of one thing here.

Archbishop Henry unquestionably altered the will.

Gaining this conviction was major progress. And since I was convinced, there were measures I could take.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment