Kiri just translating something.

Fancy level: 4 Font size: 100% Theme: Light Dark Super Dark Fancy level: 0 1 2 3 4

Support

Get some advanced chapters on Patreon

Release Schedule

3 releases per week: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

Saint TOC

Traveler TOC

Alchemist TOC

Alchemist Karen No Longer Compromises, Chapter 356

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

And with this chapter, we’ve caught up with the ongoing. What’s more, the note accompanying the chapter states that the author is taking a break to develop the plot further and stockpile chapters as the finale approaches.

So there will be a new translation on the next release day.

Chapter Three Hundred and Fifty-Six: Sudden Departure

“Oh, right. The reason I came to see you was that I had a letter from Thor.”

Tim said that as he handed her the letter, and Karen read through it before letting out a cry.

He’s already gone into the dungeon!? Not just for warm-up purposes!? He’s actually aiming for the Fairy Realm!?”

His party was all together, and your potions were looking good, so he said it was like… strike while the iron’s hot? Or something!”

I know what they say about striking while the iron’s hot, but still!”

Karen looked up at the ceiling.

I can’t believe he left without even letting me see him off…”

“But Thor’s super strong, so there’s nothing to worry about, right?”

Tim said it with cheerful innocence, and since he genuinely seemed to believe it, Karen said nothing.

The rate of non-return from the fortieth floor was considerably high. Karen didn’t know the exact number. But the reason the Fairy Realm was legendary was that there were records of it, but no one to tell the tale in person. Of course, there were probably adventurers who had been there and simply chose to stay silent. Among high-ranking adventurers, information was kept secret when they wished it to be. And yet, adventurers loved their honor above all else, and there couldn’t be many who could stay silent about an adventure they had accomplished.

Which meant Thor and the Crimson Thunder had set off on something that was, for all intents and purposes, a march toward death.

Yet the children, either still unaware of the reality of those deeper levels or underestimating it, remained innocent in their blind faith in Thor’s strength.

“Hey, what kind of relationship do you have with Master Thor?”

At Teresa’s question, Tim tilted his head.

“Relationship? He was just an older guy in the neighborhood… but he’s given me training sometimes!”

“I-I see. Training with Master Thor… Huh.”

“Jealous, aren’t you?”

Teresa tried to hide her irritation behind a smile at Tim’s carefree grin, but didn’t quite manage it.

“Well, I get sponsorship from Karen, you know? Same as Master Thor!”

Karen? Wait, Karen sponsors people? You mean I can get her sponsorship too!?”

“Ah—so you don’t have one? I do, though—”

“That’s so cool!”

Teresa had gone in for an obvious show of superiority, and Tim responded with open, genuine admiration. Teresa blinked in surprise. Leaving her to her confusion, Tim looked over at Karen.

Karen, what do I need to do to get sponsored by you? What are the conditions? Do you have to be at least C-rank or something!? I mean, if that were it, Teresa wouldn’t qualify.”

Tim pestered Karen completely obliviously, with Teresa pulling a sulky face behind him.

I want Karen’s sponsorship too! How much do I need? What items do you want? Should I bring you some magical tools!?”

I’m already stretched thin—I can’t take on any more sponsored adventurers right now.”

“Come on!”

“Is there any reason to prioritize you over supporting Master Thor’s adventure?”

“No, but!”

Karen almost laughed and held back a sigh at Tim’s wheedling and Teresa’s jeering commentary.

For Thor, this dungeon was deeper than anything he’d attempted before, so preparation had been necessary. But it wasn’t so special an adventure that he needed to be seen off. Every floor was life or death, just as this one would be—that was all.

She knew it in her head, but the worry gnawing at her was chillingly intense. Karen kept her expression controlled, and Julius put his arm around her shoulder.

Karen.”

Julius…”

You have more than fulfilled your promise to that man, Karen.”

“Hm?”

The sudden shift caught Karen off guard, and she blinked.

“The groundwork for protecting those without magical power has been laid sufficiently. Whatever gaps remain, Harald will fill them… right?”

“Of course.”

Harald, brought into the conversation, nodded emphatically. From the context, Karen assumed that “that man” referred to Horst. Her promise to Horst—to protect the innocent people who would inevitably face prejudice because of the uprising of those without magical power.

You’ve already even prepared to cover what Harald alone cannot.”

I suppose… maybe?”

“So Karen, you should leave this to them now, and focus on what you can do for Thor as an alchemist. Don’t you agree?”

Julius was pointing Karen toward what she needed to do. Karen’s sky-blue eyes, clouded with worry, caught the reflection of Julius’s golden ones.

I’m sure there’s something you can still do for Thor.”

“…I was still making more potions. But Thor left without taking them.”

“Then they have to be delivered.”

I’d need to ask the Merchants’ Guild to send a dungeon caravan…”

I could deliver them directly.”

He could see shadow falling over Karen’s eyes again, and Julius smiled calmly.

“Only as far as the twenty-sixth floor or so, Karen. Just delivering supplies to the oasis inn, so there’s no need to worry about me. I’ve already conquered the twentieth floor of the territory capital’s dungeon, after all.”

Clearing the twentieth floor had been a genuine achievement in its own right. Something accomplished because he had been able to form a party with capable knights of the Ehlertt territory.

Thor placed his complete trust in you and left everything in your hands. All that’s left is for you to live up to that trust, isn’t it?”

“—You’re completely right, Julius.”

Karen took a deep breath and clenched her fist.

I’ve got my own plans to worry about, but I guess it can’t be helped!”

“Quite so.”

I wanted to celebrate everyone in the Crimson Thunder getting promoted before they went back into the dungeon!”

“We’ll celebrate when they come home.”

“And when they do come home, I’ll make sure to charge extra as their alchemist!”

“That’s the spirit, Karen.”

Julius looked relieved to see Karen facing forward, and then looked toward the distant direction of the capital and said, almost under his breath:

“…Personally, I’m almost in awe of Thor for being able to rely on you, his big sister, so wholeheartedly—or rather, for being able to be spoiled by you to this extent.”

You could rely on Brother Helfried just as much without any trouble, you know?”

“No, I don’t think I could manage it quite the way Thor does.”

Karen blinked at Julius’s wry smile, then grinned.

“Then in your place, since you’re bad at leaning on people, I’ll go lean on Brother Helfried with everything I’ve got!”

Karen?”

I’ll show you—from both a sister’s perspective and a sister-in-law’s perspective—that an older sibling being relied on by a younger one is nothing but a good thing!”

“Wait, Karen. If you say it, I’ll believe it. But I don’t want to cause Brother trouble.”

“It’s not trouble. It makes you happy, being able to do something for a little brother. You already knew that—that’s why you told me to do what I can for Thor, isn’t it?”

“…That was dangerous! I almost got completely swept up in your worldview.”

Julius recoiled dramatically as though he’d nearly been pulled into something, breaking into a cold sweat.

Karen laughed out loud at that, bright and clear.

Previous chapter Index Next chapter

Characters so far

To view the Characters, please enable JavaScript.

Glossary

To view the Glossary, please enable JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment